Comment Spam

As with every other blog that I have ever hosted, I seem to be the target of comment spam.  In the past, I have implemented CAPTCHA images, forcing previews, and filters, all of which worked exceptionally well.  With WordPress, however, I can catch all comments in moderation to require approval first.  This was working fairly well, until I started wading through 17-20 spam comments per day.  Apparently, there isn't a built in spam manager for WordPress.  Thankfully, I have the ability to install plugins.

Hello SpamKarma.

After downloading, installing and activating, I am impressed.  First off, it scanned all of the PHP files in my theme to make sure it was compatible with the markup.  Next, it noticed all the previous 80+ messages that I had marked as spam using the built in WordPress feature.  For starters, I am impressed.  Looking deeper into the plugin, I notice that I have the ability to change the strength of of SpamKarma for every comment posted.  It offers many other features such as blacklists,
link counters, JavaScript detection, snowball effect, captcha images and much much more.

Basically, if you are a WordPress blog user, and your blog has been up for a decent amount of time (at least long enough to receive comment spam), you shouldn't be using your blog without it.  Just in the time writing this post, it has already caught 5 comment spam messages, and I didn't have to worry about a thing.

1. Joey Day using Firefox 1.5 on Windows XP | January 11, 2006 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

I was using Spam Karma 2 right up until I upgraded to WordPress 2.0 about a week ago. WordPress 2.0 comes with something called Akismet. I decided to disable Spam Karma and enable Akismet just to give it a good run and see what it can do. I may end up going back to Spam Karma, but we'll see. It's a shame that no blog is safe these days. You definitely need some kind of spam filter or you're toast.

2. Aaron using Firefox 1.5 on GNU/Linux | January 12, 2006 at 7:05 am | Permalink

Ahh. That's right. Akismet is built right in. I never used it or even paid any attention to it. Then again, default stuff that most vendors put with their product gets overlooked by me just out of habit.

3. web design using Internet Explorer 6.0 on Windows XP | January 12, 2007 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

If any one write a comment for some of topic in a blogs then he/she must be rewarded from the link which he added to its site as a trackback.

4. Aaron using Firefox 2.0.0.1 on Ubuntu | January 13, 2007 at 11:52 am | Permalink

web design-

Wrong. I reserve the right on my blog to control the comments herein. Just because you write a comment, does not mean you deserve a trackback to your site, placing you in higher Google rankings. Looking at your comment, I believe you to be a bot, over a real person, so I have removed the link to the commercial site you are advertising, and blacklisted your IP from future comments.

5. tv izle using Firefox 1.5.0.11 on Windows XP | March 29, 2007 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

That’s right. Akismet is built right in.

6. wow guild hosting using Firefox 2.0.0.13 on Windows Vista | April 21, 2008 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

I would only consider it spam if they didn't read the post and put something nonsensical down.

7. krosno podpis cyfrow using Firefox 2.0.0.16 on Unknown O.S. | September 29, 2008 at 5:06 am | Permalink

Thanks for very interesting article.

8. odlewnia using Firefox 2.0.0.16 on Unknown O.S. | September 29, 2008 at 5:07 am | Permalink

Very good site...

9. BalDesassut using Mozilla Compatible 0.6 on Unknown O.S. | February 19, 2009 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

261kjhj ku624,
    cheap hydrocodone, buy adipex online, buy ambien online, ativan generic, ephedra, buy xanax, alprazolam,

10. tv izle using Firefox 3.6.11 on Windows 7 | October 27, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

good sharing, thank you.