Why PHP Is BETTER Than ASP/ASP.NET

I got into this discussion with a student at school this morning. A professor wants to convert my proposed CS site from PHP to straight ASP. I don't understand why, for a number of reasons, why he would want to or even put himself through that. All OS preferences and biases aside, I argue that PHP is better than ASP/ASP.NET for one major reason. Let me show you visually. I am a visual person, and can comprehend things when explained visually much better.

Full Keyboard Layout

Do you see it? Look harder. No? How about now?

Partial Keyboard Layout

Apparently you don't see it, so I'll show you even a closer view.

Zoom Keyboard Layout

That's right. The character that the browser uses to recognize PHP code from regular HTML code is the '?' which happens to conveniently sit right next to the SGML characters as well as the shift button used for all three. What character does ASP/ASP.NET use? Oh, that's right- it's the modulus character '%' which sits halfway across the keyboard. Lazy? Better believe it! Please tell me of a coder who isn't. Please provide me the name of a programming software distributor/company who isn't. Programming is all about convenience.

That reminds me. Doesn't Microsoft, the Great Company who provided us with the convenience of ASP/ASP.NET, give us the '\' when navigating through the OS? Yup. UNIX/Linux/Mac/Every-other-non-IBM-or-MS-OS uses the '/' which conveniently sits next to '.' on the keyboard.

This is why PHP is superior to ASP/ASP.NET and why UNIX/Linux/Mac/Every-other-non-IBM-or-MS-OS is superior to Windows.

1. glen using Firefox 1.0.4 on Windows XP | January 16, 2006 at 11:36 am | Permalink

As a user of both PHP and ASP.NET there are good and bad things about both and it mostly comes down to preference and which one you are comfortable with. At work I use C#/asp.net extensively and for an outside project I am using PHP. One thing worth mentioning though is there a BIG difference between asp and asp.net. DO NOT use asp. It's terrible.

2. Aaron using Firefox 1.5 on Mac OS | January 16, 2006 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

I totally agree that .NET is hands and foot better than straight ASP. And no doubt, you develop with what you are comfortable with. This post was mainly just satire.

Seriously, I left .NET for one major reason: overhead. It eats up easily triple the memory that PHP consumes. There are other reasons, however, .NET has it's place. It just doesn't work well for me. I do love the C# language, however. Coming from Java, that language just made sense, and I spend a great deal of time using Mono on RedHat at work. Thank you Miguel!

3. Ben using Internet Explorer 6.0 on Windows NT | January 19, 2006 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

PHP is for websites. ASP.NET is for applications. From your comments, the following is obvious:

1. You don't know much about ASP.NET and the .NET Framework.

2. You have never written a business application (note the word 'application') in the professional world. I am not talking about something that does some simple tasks, I am talking about real applications that deal with massive quantities of _real_ data coming from different sources in different formats, etc. Writing a website for school, you will never know the differences between the two.

3. You don't understand what you are getting in return for the amount of memory consumed by ASP.NET applications. Also, you don't know much about configuring an ASP.NET application. This goes back to item #1.

4. Aaron using Firefox 1.5 on Windows XP | January 19, 2006 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

Apparently, you don't know anything about me. I spend a great deal of my professional time developing server-side applications. The website for school is completely voluntary. The data and applications we build range from data processing and sample manipulation to text cleanup. We don't use .NET at work. We use PHP. the learning curve and training for .NET was just too great. As far as your claims are concerned:

1. I know a great deal about ASP.NET and the .NET framework. Who are you anyway to make such claims about me from a satirical post? Do you not understand what a joke is?
    2. As mentioned above, I spend a great deal of time developing professional applications. About 40-50 hours / week. It's my job. Python, PHP, CfMC and many more. .NET is not one of them
    3. You're right. I don't understand what I am getting in return for my investment in developing .NET apps. I never have. Why should I have to build an application and configure a framework?

I hope you aren't a programmer or software developer. If you were, I would be concerned as a company hiring you.

5. john using Internet Explorer 7.0 on Windows XP | March 1, 2007 at 10:14 am | Permalink

In responce to item 5.

If you used .NET instead of PHP etc you would only need to work 1 day a week. As .NET is about 4-5 times faster to develop in than PHP etc. This increases with the complexity of the site you are developing. The only time PHP is as quick to use as .NET is when there is hardly any code needed!!!

It makes me laugh how there is a 100% correlation between what OS/browser you use and which language you develop in (myself included). There are simply millions of Microsoft haters out there who would rather boil in oil than admit that .NET is faster, easier and more powerful than PHP! see:

6. Aaron using Debian IceWeasel 2.0.0.1 on Debian GNU/Linux 64 bits | March 1, 2007 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

John-

"Boil in oil", eh? Are you serious? LOL. I have personally benchmarked ASP, PHP, JSP and .NET. PHP was 10% faster than JSP, 30% faster than ASP and almost 230% faster than .NET.

The great thing? I didn't have to install everything and the kitchen sink for my operating system. Minimal Debian base install, Apache2 and PHP. No extra software. No GUI.

For Windows, not only is IIS slower than your grandma, it's security holes and complexity behind making simple system calls are a nightmare. *PLUS*, I have the entire desktop GUI slowing me down, not to mention the overhead of Active Directory. Faster? Yeah, right!

As far as your comment working only 1 day a week, apparently, you don't do web development. Developing for your beloved browser "IE" is a pain, regardless of language or platform. If I didn't have to develop for IE, then I would in fact be working only 1 day a week.

7. Emad using Internet Explorer 6.0 on Windows 2000 | April 17, 2007 at 1:50 am | Permalink

I don't understand one thing. People who claim that .NET should be used to develop applications and PHP should be used to make only websites, can you give me one good reason?

8. aaaaaa using Firefox 1.5.0.11 on Windows XP | April 30, 2007 at 10:03 am | Permalink

I can't believe i wasted my time visiting this page. What kind of IDIOT considers php better than ASP.NET just because the most frequently used keys are next to eachother? You are the stupidest person i have EVER heard of...Do us all a favor and move to nigeria and start weaving baskets.

9. Aaron using Firefox 2.0.0.3 on Ubuntu 64 bits | April 30, 2007 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

aaaaa- Don't recognize a joke when you see one, eh? Too bad.

10. Mark using Firefox 2.0.0.6 on Windows XP | September 6, 2007 at 4:14 am | Permalink

I thought the post was great. I prefer PHP and I'd rather rub sand in my eyes than use ASP.NET. (satire of the boil in oil comment)

A web server should never need a gui OS. For this reason alone I wouldn't use any Microsoft server application if I could avoid it. But this is more about the server and less about the language.

- I found the language very awkward to work with.

- PHP/mysql is faster than ASP.NET/MS SQL server. (Why do you think wikipedia the largest database site uses it?)

- PHP and everything you need to make one of the largest sites on the internet is completely free. And fit together seamlessly no need for expensive licensing/user etc.

The only thing that kinda bothers me about php is the damn dollar sign (which is located next to the % symbol :) ). This basically puts PHP on par with ASP.NET in your argument. I have however learned to like it since it makes it easy to determine variables.

I'll have to check out your other articles.

Mark

11. RandoM using Internet Explorer 6.0 on Windows XP | October 4, 2007 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

Great post .. But lets look to this subject more deep .. One reason lead me to prefer PHP than ASP.NET that i dont need to learn more langauges .. All i need to learn is PHP .. On the other hand, to work with ASP.NET i must to learn either C# or VB ...

But no doubt, ASP.NET have several advanteges make millions of programmers prerfer it than PHP .. One of its advanteges its seperate server code from HTML code .. in addition , visual studio 2005 presents to programmers many tools that makes the programming operation more easy ..

Any way, PHP presents to me everything i want .. And with full oriented PHP5 we can say PHP is the future of web applications ...

12. Eric using Firefox 2.0.0.5 on Windows XP | October 8, 2007 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

In regards to RandoM's post about splitting up server side code and html code does it mean that if you have a tiny loop for example

php code:
    while($r = mysql_fetch_array($q))
    {
    echo "hi".$r;
    }

would i have to somehow link to the small loop within the code? if so i think that would be a major drawback to asp. however i dont build "applications" per se, mainly web utilities.

thanks

13. Rfrmdns using Firefox 2.0.0.9 on Windows XP | November 7, 2007 at 5:40 am | Permalink

There is a lot of things that are better with PHP:

-Better HTML output (No shit like hidden input tags with loads of gibberish like "q879FSkkSDmdwadwau...")

-its easier to make PHP communicate with FLASH (again because of the CRAP html .net ouputs)

-Easier to code (this might just be me, but i find it alot easier to use php for image editing, socket communication, file upload, file r/w etc.)

THE ONLY ADVANTAGE IN ASP.NET
    is the drag & drop dev enviroment, however i dont see this as an advantage, as you get crappy code. Okay i admit that for newbies its cool, you can just make a dynamic website by dragging little boxes onto your website, but the result will look like every else aspx site on the web.
    Also you get all these wierd components that is more or less useless.

14. Blaque using Firefox 2.0.0.8 on Ubuntu | November 20, 2007 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

Anyone that says you can't build an application with PHP needs to have their CS degree revoked...if they even have one. Thats like saying you can't develop an application in C++. The problem with these types of people is that they don't literally don't know JACK about development. They love ASP.net and other frameworks because it tells them how to develop. Give them a blank file in an IDE and they'll crap on themselves. For those of us that actually know how to program PHP is WAY easier to use. ASP.net really brings nothing new to the table. It only solves its own problems and shortcomings brought on by trying to abstract the whole web application paradigm.

15. Ben using Firefox 2.0.0.9 on Windows XP | November 22, 2007 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

As a young developer, very new to the field of web applications, I have come to agree with those who prefer PHP. However, I have very little room to speak, as I only know PHP, and have just begun. Who knows, I may eventually be persuaded into using .NET more after I learn it.

To digress a tad, I would like to add an observation that may or may not be actual or truthful. It seems that the majority of people who know .NET also know C++ or some other language. This makes me believe that PHP will come out the victor for the simple fact that their is no other language requirement. People who want to become a web-developer(applications, pages, etc.), would probably choose PHP for its simplicity and ability to be learned quicker.

Performance wise, I can not judge as I have not tested either but it seems like milliseconds.
    Development wise, I can not judge as well because I have not used .NET, only PHP, so I am biased. From what I have seen, it can be more indepth than PHP but also be overcomplicated.

~Ben

16. Larry using Firefox 2.0.0.10 on Windows XP | November 28, 2007 at 10:43 pm | Permalink

What developer wants a server-side technology that decides what HTML/XHTML it's going to output? Only the ones that don't care (or don't understand) proper XHTML.

And I certainly don't want a billion CSS classes for every element! That's reason enough for me to move to PHP. Give me clean and semantic markup please. Oh, do any of you even know what semantic means? Didn't think so!

17. Nicolas using Opera 9.23 on FreeBSD | December 15, 2007 at 2:32 am | Permalink

I've been an active PERL / Unix dev for 2 years now, was on .net hysteria before. I find the best language of .net to be vb.net, and even this particular one sucks so extremely hard... why do we need a fucking object for every @½"*+ç little operation? MS pumps up the complexity absolutely artificially. There is nothing you cannot do with plain C, as it's the 3rd generation lang that is closest to asm.. the farer a programming language derives from expressing the true inner workings of a computer, the more likely it is that it gets into your way. I hate OOP therefore. I disliked it before but I started to REALLY hate it when I saw that basically everything is just a pointer to some memory region... as a programmer, you issue simple commands on these, no matter what language you use.. so why not use one that *doesn't* hide the *way it really works* from you? Flexibility increases as well as productivity. PHP has a sane level of abstraction, perl even better, c#/vb.net/java (no pointers? wtf why?) and even c++ for that matter have not.

MS generally releases few useful pieces of software, I consider windows as well as directx to be amongst them. Definitely not asp.net and the MS sql server neither.

18. Gunjan using Firefox 2.0.0.4 on Windows XP | December 15, 2007 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

PHP is better than .net but why .net opening are more than PHP in the market?

19. Nicolas using Opera 9.23 on FreeBSD | December 18, 2007 at 9:09 am | Permalink

to keep people busy a far longer time solving a trivial problem with shitloads of objects and crap that is inherently not needed to solve the problem algorithmically. Procedurally always suffices, or does anyone of you here think the code of an usual business app requires more logic than quake 3? (plain c) ... or the freebsd kernel components (also plain c)... or huge parts of windows nt (guess what)... OOP is almost always inefficient, and most useful code written in "OOP" languages (that try to force you into using the concept) has also mostly procedural structures. It's the way computers work at the end, goddamnit. Not one single object in assembler, nothing.

20. Ben using Firefox 2.0.0.11 on Windows 2000 | January 7, 2008 at 9:18 am | Permalink

PHP or perl i dont mind, cold fusion/jsp (never used) and the new visual studio.net products (every release is just excuse for microsofts profits). I like PHP cos its free and they dont care about profits and have full user support!

21. Tom using Internet Explorer 7.0 on Windows XP | February 23, 2008 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

Wow, I have to say that I am quite suprised. The idiocracy of trying to say that PHP is better than ASP.NET. For certian small websites, sure, use PHP. I own a company that develops software. All we use is ASP.NET... and here is why:

It provides an entirely new programming model for creating network applications that take advantage of the Internet.

Improved Performance and Scalability
    • Compiled Execution: ASP.NET is much faster than classic ASP, while preserving the "just hit save" update model of ASP. No explicit compile step is required. ASP.NET automatically detects any change, dynamically compiles files if needed, and stores the compiled results to reuse for subsequent requests. Dynamic compilation ensures that your application is always up to date, and compiled execution makes it fast. Most applications migrated from classic ASP to ASP.NET see a 3x to 5x increase in pages served.

• Rich Output Caching: ASP.NET output caching can dramatically improve the performance and scalability of your application. When output caching is enabled on a page, ASP.NET executes the page once and saves the result in memory before sending it to the user. When another user requests the same page, ASP.NET serves the cached result from memory without re-executing the page. Output caching is configurable, and it can be used to cache individual regions or an entire page.

• Web Farm Session State: ASP.NET session state lets you share session data across all machines in a Web farm. Now a user can hit different servers in the Web farm over multiple requests and still have full access to session data.

Enhanced Reliability
    • Memory Leak, Dead Lock, and Crash Protection: ASP.NET automatically detects and recovers from errors such as dead locks and memory leaks to ensure that your application is always available. For example, when a memory leak is detected, ASP.NET automatically starts up a new copy of the ASP.NET worker process and directs all new requests to the new process. After the old process has finished processing pending requests, it is gracefully disposed of and the leaked memory is released.

Easy Deployment
    • "No Touch" Application Deployment: With ASP.NET you can deploy an entire application by copying it to the server. Configuration settings are stored in an XML file within the application.

• Dynamic Update of Running Application: ASP.NET lets you update compiled components without restarting the Web server. Unlike classic COM components that required the Web server to be manually restarted when an update was deployed, ASP.NET automatically detects the change and starts using the new code.

• Easy Migration Path: ASP.NET runs side by side on IIS with classic ASP applications on Microsoft Windows 2000 and Windows XP, and on members of the Windows Server 2003 family. You can migrate one application at a time, or even single pages. ASP.NET even lets you continue to use your existing classic COM business components.

New Application Models
    • XML Web Services: XML Web services allow applications to communicate and share data over the Internet, regardless of operating system or programming language. ASP.NET makes exposing and calling XML Web services simple.

• Mobile Web Device Support: ASP.NET mobile controls let you target over 80 mobile Web devices using ASP.NET. You write the application once, and the mobile controls automatically generate pages for the requesting device.

Developer Productivity
    • Easy Programming Model: ASP.NET makes building real-world Web applications dramatically easier with server controls that let you build great pages with far less code than classic ASP.

• Flexible Language Options. ASP.NET supports not only Microsoft Visual Basic Scripting Edition (VBScript) and Microsoft JScript but also more than 25 .NET languages, including built-in support for Visual Basic .NET, Microsoft C#, and JScript .NET.

• Rich Class Framework: The .NET Framework class library offers over 4,500 classes that encapsulate rich functionality such as XML, data access, file upload, regular expressions, image generation, performance monitoring and logging, transactions, message queuing, and SMTP mail.

Now when compared to PHP there is no comparison!

22. Craig using Firefox 2.0.0.14 on Windows Vista | April 22, 2008 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

Oh...My...God...
    Not only have you managed to simplify the entire inefficiency and bad design of ASP and .NET down to the bad design used in the tags, but you've blown my mind with how true it is!

In regards to Tom's rather long-winded comment:
    You seem to be showing why ASP.NET is better than classic ASP. That's kind of a given.
    Your extensive list of features is great, but if you think these are things PHP isn't capable of, you have A LOT of research to do. With a little bit of knowledge (which most PHP developers obviously already have, otherwise they would be using ASP) it's not at all difficult to replicate any / all of those fancy ASP features, and without paying!
    Being able to use multiple languages is not a good thing. It's actually a major problem with ASP.NET, as it means there is no real standardisation.

23. Dan using Firefox 3.0 on Mac OS | June 17, 2008 at 9:56 am | Permalink

I own a web development firm that started off as 3 people. 2 years ago we offered both ASP.net and PHP but decided that if we wanted to be good at either one we would have to drop one and use just the other. That is when we decided to go with PHP and drop ASP.net. The reasons behind our decision is conclusive on many of your posts above. When developing good web applications we are more concerned about the final output for our customers sake and not the fact that we saved the programmer an extra day because we made his life a bit more efficient. We want our websites to be custom built specifically for our customers and not carry any unnecessary overhead like ASP.net does. After researching this for about 2 years we decided PHP was the best option for our company. Today we have 12 employees and have been the fastest growing company in our city for two years in a row. Our customers notice the quality of our work and their websites and they keep coming back for more. In the end, that is what really matters. To end this argument, it's really not about giving the programmers what they need at the expense of the customer's website performance or visual layout. It's about making sure that the customers website runs to the best of it's ability for years to come. With PHP it is possible, and for Tom who wrote the very long article about ASP.net. We do have all of those features in our PHP web applications. Maybe you should visit zend.com and read a little bit more about enterprise level PHP.

24. Hesham Omran using Internet Explorer 7.0 on Windows XP | July 2, 2008 at 4:08 am | Permalink

Hey Guys, nice posts. you ppl are taking things personally somehow... kiddin. anywayz I just wanted to tell you about my experience, I was a PHP developer during the times at my university, I owe PHP as it's my first language for web programming, and actually I was with the GO PHP 5 movement, and I decided that I will be object oriented. but then I had to work with ASP.NET for an internship. and I fell in love. maybe PHP is faster, I noticed it as an observer on single page level, I don't know on stress testing what would happen, but ASP.NET is a rapid Development Framework and language. such as authentication and authorization, membership providers that has a very flexible degree of customization. a whole lot of support, such as Code Project community. Microsoft MVPs across the internet writing articles and making controls. and NetTiers a Tier design code generator, maybe I was more lucky to find parallel solutions to help me develop faster than PHP. finally, maybe if PHP would get a unified framework around it and good IDE that really make things easier I would return back. and believe me I am searching all I got is a IDE from here like PHP designer and framework from there like PradoSoft, Zend or others, a template based generator like smarty... but the end it became a mess and somehow a spagetti. and I know u will tell me ZEND Framework and IDE is for that purpose, but my Zend experience was very bad and it's not optimized for PHP OOP.

maybe what made ASP.NET better is the IDE and .NET Framework, one framework everybody can base their work on it, one big solution rather than many small solutions.

This is just an opinion of mine

25. um using Internet Explorer 7.0 on Windows XP | July 8, 2008 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

php is better than c# because you would rather use the ? over the %... Ya, that's def the deciding factor when I choose a language for a project... wow.

26. PHP Coder using Opera 9.50 on Unknown O.S. | August 26, 2008 at 5:18 am | Permalink

I program both in PHP and ASP.NET. From my experience, i can say that asp.net is better in performance and it has been targetted to new and _lazy_ developers. It provides too many features - which i just don't like. For this reason i have dropped asp.Net and started with php. Asp.Net is good for starters. Asp.Net is so easy that anyone can create a website and this potentially can lead to programers unemployment!

27. Andy using Opera 9.60 on Windows XP | October 26, 2008 at 9:19 am | Permalink

Personally, I don't think technology itself can decide which is better and which is not. An application is written by the developer, as so the end product is actually the design of the developer. Some people wrote good application in PHP and some don't that's the fact, and it goes the same for ASP.Net. It becomes useless to benchmark these technologies, when you have finish reading this post, some developer (in any part of the world) might have already finish developing an application.

28. asdasd using Safari 525.26.12 on Mac OS | November 20, 2008 at 4:23 am | Permalink

"The character that the browser uses to recognize PHP code from regular HTML code is the ‘?’ "

The browser doesn't see the PHP code

29. doug using Firefox 3.0.4 on Windows XP | November 26, 2008 at 9:16 am | Permalink

can anyone name a website valued in the nine figures developed with .net?

i can't think of one.

but digg, facebook, flickr, youtube, etc. are all lamp (php) sites.

30. Eric using Internet Explorer 7.0 on Windows Vista | December 2, 2008 at 9:47 am | Permalink

What I don't understand is why are some people on here being so hostile?? It is not like This guy, Aaron, called your mother a whore. He simply stated that PHP is better than ASP.NET. It was a joke about the keys being close together and that it makes it easier with PHP. It was simply stating a fact that as a coder you HAVE to cut corners and save AS MUCH TIME AS POSSIBLE or else you will be working forever. So if it happens to be the few saved milliseconds each time you use the main characters in PHP, then over time you do save a good bit of time(however, even I could understand that it was mainly a joke).

I have to say though that I do believe that PHP is much easier and quicker than ASP.NET. I have not built too many applications, mainly a few small web applications(nothing serious), but I am a web designer and I am educated enough to know that you can design websites and/or web applications with PHP or ASP.NET. Many websites use ASP.NET(and for some reason, every website I go to that is designed with ASP.NET is a good bit slower than PHP sites). Granted, SOME things are easier with ASP.NET, but overall PHP is easier to use and much quicker to impliment. Unlike ASP.NET, you can easily start using PHP while you learn. You can just pick up PHP and start using it right away. I started using PHP before I knew how to do almost anything in PHP. The more I used it, the more I learned and I might mention, it wasn't hard to learn how to do almost everything in PHP. One thing I want to note is that someone said that "You don’t understand what you are getting in return for the amount of memory consumed by ASP.NET applications". Now, that may be true for extremely large applications(I wouldn't know), but for web applications and for web designing, you can not afford that kind of memory consumption almost ever! Websites need to be as small as possible and load as quickly as possible. PHP can sometimes have a good bit of memory consumption also, but if you are good at PHP, the code is extremely small almost all of the time(and MUCH smaller than ASP.NET code).

Honestly though, I do not believe that there is much at all different between PHP and ASP.NET overall. Both do pretty much the same thing, both are used about the same amount to do similar functions. I just think PHP is easier to learn, a bit easier to impliment, and takes alot less code than ASP.NET. It IS mostly whatever a person feels most comfortable with and whichever they choose to learn(I suggest PHP for new coders).

By the way, I love microsoft for the most part. I love Vista(because I am not retarded and wasn't born on a farm; hence, I know what causes the problems that people are upset about i.e. not enough memory installed), I loved XP, I love Office(even though it costs entirely too much), I love IE and hate Firefox(maybe just bc I am so used to IE, but firefox makes ALOT of compatible sites act weird), but I HATE ASP.NET and Windows servers are shitty compared to Linux.

I should mention that I do not know ASP.NET that well, although I started learning it when I was stuck on a few issues in PHP and while learning I looked at similar scripts/apps in PHP and ASP.NET and the ASP.NET ones were much larger than their PHP counterparts(Also, PHP is real easy to understand when just beginning; ASP.NET is a BITCH to understand and figure out).

One last thing, stop being so freakin hostile! Aaron didn't personally attack you or your family, he just said PHP is easier. Just relax, and understand that he has a different opinion(and that most of his reasoning was just a joke).

31. Eric using Internet Explorer 7.0 on Windows Vista | December 2, 2008 at 9:52 am | Permalink

I am not sure if you have had this problem with PHP characters or not, but sometimes when I am writing code real fast, I hit & instead of $ for variables and don't notice it until I am trying to figure out what the hell is screwing up my code(and have to recheck everything just to find it is one small character). It's pretty annoying.

32. Eric using Internet Explorer 7.0 on Windows Vista | December 2, 2008 at 9:54 am | Permalink

I personally wouldn't know about using any kind of development tools as I mostly handcode(which makes PHP easier as it is smaller amounts of code for most functions).

33. Eric using Internet Explorer 7.0 on Windows Vista | December 2, 2008 at 10:05 am | Permalink

Because not that many people know it, so the mistaken CEOs or HR people hear that ASP.NET is better, so that is what they require. I HATE when people who do not know SHIT about web/application coding requiring developers to know one language over another. I have seen job postings for web designers that list in the requirements bot PHP AND ASP.NET(no kidding). That makes no sense! They both pratically do the same thing, and barely any websites use both languages in the same site. It just makes no sense at all. These people have NO idea what they are talking about when they are hiring anyone in the IT field. If you are a freelance web designer that has tried to find jobs on different job-finder sites, you know exactly what I am talking about!

34. Eric using Internet Explorer 7.0 on Windows Vista | December 2, 2008 at 10:17 am | Permalink

You said that ASP.NET provides an entirely new programming model? New compared to what? As I understand it, .NET is a framework and ASP.NET is basically ASP on the .NET framework. So if you were constrained to the .NET framework, how would that be a new programming model after you use it once? Now, I don't know much about large apps, but I do know about web design and web apps, and from what I have seen, most ASP.NET sites are pretty similar. They all seem to have pretty much the same layouts and in web design, I have only seen ASP.NET used for online stores. Besides for online stores, I almost NEVER see any sites or web apps developed with ASP.NET.

35. Eric using Internet Explorer 7.0 on Windows Vista | December 2, 2008 at 10:36 am | Permalink

The only ones I can think of are online stores for large stores like jcpenney.com. I think wal-mart's online store is on ASP.NET too. But that is all ASP.NET is used for in web design(from what I have seen). Although, some of the applications on facebook are written in ASP.NET(but most are in Java).

36. Monk using Mozilla Compatible 5.0 on Unknown O.S. | December 5, 2008 at 11:56 pm | Permalink

Thanks for clearing this up!

37. Rob using Firefox 3.0 on Windows XP | January 15, 2009 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

ASP.NET will no longer be much faster than PHP since PHP6 has a build in excellerator. PHP is much more configurable. As of PHP6, it will now be viewed as a programming language with the option of being complete in the OO department. With all of those things now eliminated, what else do you have?

Oh, but ASP.NET is pre-configured so that I can do this and that in one mouse click!!! Blaaaaahhh.

38. Nobody using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu | February 8, 2009 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Seriously. In my opinionSeriously. I think that ASP.NET is WAY better than PHP, for few
    very practical reasons:

1. Speed. .NET web is really faster than PHP web. Whoever says that PHP is 230% faster than ASP.NET, has server from year 85 or shit instead of brain.

2. Language. PHP, is terrible mix of different languages. Object model? Worthless. No namespaces that would make work with different classes easy, variables being able to be retyped to all possible data types (which i see as disadvantage). Using AJAX is hard. Constructor syntax looks like these:

class SubClass extends BaseClass
    {
    function __construct($variable)
    {
    ...
    }
    }

Apart form that, any .NET language (C#, for example) has all I said. variables are being converted with things like .ToString() method. Using AJAX in ASP.NET can handle even little baby. C# constructor?

class SubClass : BaseClass
    {
    public SubClass(int variable)
    {
    ...
    }
    }

Hahaha. So, once again. Do NOT learn PHP. PHP is SHIT, although I was learning it at beginning. I got all that crap into my brain and it was very hard for me to migrate to C# and .NET. Ignore a little bit steeper learning curve and begin with .NET. And PHP my ass.

39. Frontbottom using Safari 525.18 on Mac OS | March 3, 2009 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

What a complete load of poorly written rubbish. Your argument about constructor syntax is utterly trivial, plus you left out the "public" in the PHP version.

If you use a PHP framework, like zend, then namespaces are available to you. Something you are clearly ignorant of.

Anything in .NET is not going to be faster than PHP on the server if PHP is running in a proper LAMP environment, because .NET requires IIS and a Windows server - which is slow.

In terms of actual development time, that is something that is completely up to the developer. What frameworks they are using, their experience with the language and existing reusable code is going to tell the difference here. The language itself is largely irrelevant.

40. Patrick using Firefox 3.0.8 on Ubuntu 64 bits | April 6, 2009 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

If you prefer coding by hand, then i'd say this isn't a joke :) The one thing i like about asp.net is master pages..the rest is just ok. For db apps, i like wicket. Neither .net or java are the fastest interpreted languages, but sometimes i have to sacrifice performance for getting the job done faster.

41. Hen using Firefox 3.0.10 on Mac OS | May 19, 2009 at 1:26 am | Permalink

Im a 8 years web designer, and yes im Apple fans, anything from Microsoft i will definitely go through the review before i spend my time to study their products, thing like ASP.NET.

However, just because it is from Microsoft, for that reason, i'm not willing to touch it, in fact, i rather spend more time to stick with PHP and see what possibility i can learn more and move forward from there.

By the way, this article and comment here is interesting :)

42. Justin using Firefox 3.0.10 on Mac OS | May 22, 2009 at 11:05 pm | Permalink

Wow. Congrats on pulling in comments on this post for nearly 3 1/2 years!

43. Mike using Firefox 3.0.10 on Windows Vista | May 25, 2009 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

I am a PHP master (not to gloat), I love the language and love the control. PHP is a language that gives you nothing, not even security. You have to develop that yourself. PHP can develop business critical applications, and can even be compiled and ran on the desktop! PHP has everything, because it is not only a scripting language, it is a language (based on pearl hence the $) Also since PHP 5 and the Zend Engine 2, PHP is now an object orientated language, where version 4 had the ability, but it wasn't the greatest because it was a "Sudo Object". PHP is the "Can Do Anything" server side language.

Then I was introduced to ASP.NET (not ASP). I dislike the lack of control, but I love the ease. Trivial things in ASP.NET take much time in PHP, like dbase layers and security. I don't like that I have to run IIS and Windows, but Apache and the Open Source Community are working on that. ASP.NET is a damn good server side scripting solution. Rapid application development, and a good way to think about how your app is going to work.

ASP.NET is the industry standard and can make you money. PHP should be the standard and maybe sometime it will. You have to find a very "Young" thinking company (like Google) to get paid for PHP. Yes Google is PHP, compiled PHP but is PHP! So both languages are great and for which one is better, well none.

44. larry using Internet Explorer 7.0 on Windows Vista | May 28, 2009 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

I wanted to know whether asp.net was better than PHP for website creation. I found this site and, wow, some people really take this s--t seriously! Such hostility over a bunch a bulls--t. Break away from your liitle coding world and have a beer, find some romance, then, maybe you guys who feel so strongly about this crap, will lose some of your pent up frustration.

45. Smarty Pants using Firefox 2.0.0.9 on GNU/Linux | June 19, 2009 at 10:34 pm | Permalink

Oh, when will these comments end! lol I just wanted to say that for those stating that PHP doesn't have a good IDE or framework -- You're Wrong! I'll tell you (my personal preference ^_^) the best way to develop PHP applications is with Aptana Studio and CakePHP! Happy Coding!

46. Steven using Firefox 3.5 on Windows Vista | July 17, 2009 at 3:14 am | Permalink

asp.net and php both suck dick. and google is in python for post #44. you stupid asshole. Python FTW!!!

47. Balaji Birajdar using Internet Explorer 7.0 on Windows XP | July 21, 2009 at 2:54 am | Permalink

I am a developer. I personally think that in the development point of view, .net brings all the windows and web development tools under one hood. So there are absolutley no compatibility issues between the tools during development.
    Nextly, the .net code is readable , maintainable, structured as compared to PHP.
    On the web compatibility side, the IIS generates the browser specific html as output. So the developer dosen't need to output custom HTML for each and every browser type. This is the unique and the greatest feature of .NET that is not found in any of the web development tools or platforms available till date...( And I mean it)
    On the other hand, PHP is a scripted language which lowers the website performance( forget the accelerator..Its not of much use) and asp.net is a compiled (or precompiled ) which works much faster.
    Real World Examples:

ComputerJobs.com
    ComputerJobs.com converted from Cold Fusion to .Net and saw a 400% improvement in server efficiency. They predicted that they would save over $100K in the following year due to reduced hardware.

Sun Microsystems' Java Pet Store J2EE BluePrint Application
    A team of 2 developers rebuilt the “Sun Microsystems' Java Pet Store J2EE BluePrint Application” using .Net in 4 weeks with 25% of the code. When tested in a lab, the .Net application ran %1000 faster than a tuned version of the Java application. The same Pet Store application was rebuilt by both Microsoft and Sun for an independent competition sponsored by The Middleware Company. Below is a comparison of the results:

.Net 1.1/Windows 2003

J2EE/Windows 2000

Lines of Code
    2,096
    14,004

Time required for tuning and optimization prior to performance test
    2 man-weeks
    10 man-weeks

Price/Performance Ratio – the cost per server divided by the maximum transactions per second the server could handle
    $316 – in other words, for a Java application to handle the same amount of website traffic as a .Net application, and additional $989 would need to be spent on server hardware.
    $1,305

Maximum Pages served per Second
    1,400
    600

Maximum Number of Concurrent Users
    6,000
    4,000

Maximum Number of Transactions per Second
    117

Test Notes: Each application was executed on identical Compaq Proliant servers; J2EE was tested on two Application Servers, one of which crashed midway and did not complete the test; J2EE used an Oracle 9i database while .Net used a SQL Server 2000 database; J2EE ran on Windows 2000 because it outperformed RedHat Linux 7.2 in a trial test. For the complete study, visit: http://www.middleware-company.com/documents/j2eedotnetbenchmark.pdf.

The Nile Benchmark
    The Nile Benchmark is a complete end-to-end ecommerce application server benchmark that has been widely used by independent testing laboratories including Doculabs, eWeek®, and PC Magazine® to benchmark application server products. The Nile application is a useful benchmark because it is simple and straightforward, yet exercises the common elements found in most real Web applications. The benchmark shows that the Nile application implemented using Microsoft ASP.NET outperforms the same application implemented using EJBs on a leading J2EE application server by 345% on an 8 CPU system when output caching is enabled for both products. It also shows that the Microsoft.NET version of Nile outperforms the EJB version of Nile on an 8 CPU system by over 421% when output caching is not used.

48. Balaji Birajdar using Internet Explorer 7.0 on Windows XP | July 21, 2009 at 4:48 am | Permalink

49. Aglan using Internet Explorer 7.0 on Windows XP | July 21, 2009 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

well for me i prefered PHP than asp.net on time i sent my CV to a company they told me u will be tested in the interview of asp.net and sql server i said i donot know asp.net or sql i use php and mysql !!! donot know why many companys uses it. hay hay it'ss drag and drop okok u can use for gui Bludevoda and for fast coding u can use a framework like zend frame work or codeigniter i'm still giving asp a try and i really till now donot like it as every one said up overload y should i learn C# or VB, PHP for me is better it's easy !!! ya try learning it with things up u will find it easy and professionaly well i really one of php developers who need some standrization yaya i know frame works but i need something with GUI if a gui framework is made for PHP, ASP.net will VANISH.

microsoft know where to get companies uses their tools like asp.net well for my experince most "or all" free lancers uses PHP. i'm not that kind of ppl who just say yukkkk i hate microsoft " and they know nothng" y linux is better dono it's just better by the way 85% from all servers uses linux ;) rest r not microsoft are unix, openBSD... ms about 1 %.

anyway see what tool ur confortable with and can really implemnt strong applications with it and use it. wow this article has last along a war still going
    windows 7 i heared it's good ;) will give it a try.
    oh forget to say something ppl
    PHP is BETTER than ASP.net ;)

50. Mike using Firefox 3.5.1 on Windows XP | July 24, 2009 at 8:32 am | Permalink

This is funny, indeed. I mean the reason why the OP regards PHP to be better than ASP.NET. It is obvious - not only because he actually said that he's at univ - that he hasn't got much real-life experience in coding. Such a silly thing, as the placement of a character, can not be regarded to, as a deciding factor in terms what coding language is better.

I've been developing for some 12yrs now and know both .NET and PHP. However, when it comes to usability and compatibility, .NET beats the living .*&# out of PHP, it's simple as that. If you don't like the placement of the % sign, you can always use a shortcut or bind that character to a more conveniently placed key on your keyboard. I think that is what most of us, experienced coders do. But of course, I'm not expecting you to be an experienced coder when you are still at univ, I wasn't experienced then either. ;-)

51. Herb Riede using Firefox 3.0.13 on Windows XP | August 13, 2009 at 9:01 am | Permalink

I've spent my life coding in ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, ColdFusion, JSP, RIPScrip, ANSI, MS-SQL, MySQL, Visual BASIC, QuickBASIC, GW-BASIC, C++, Assembly...

Will be converting major ASP.Net site to PHP or CF post haste.

I always coded in VB and ASP, but .Net is a major pain. I am a PC-Compatible Mac Hater, but they have the model all wrong.

It is nothing but FrontPage: Next Generation.

52. Aaron using Debian IceWeasel 3.0.12 on Debian GNU/Linux | August 18, 2009 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Everyone coming to this site:

Please understand that this post is a JOKE! I'm sensing that some people visiting this post are taking it seriously. If you are, it rather apparent that you don't know a joke when one slaps you in the face. THIS IS MEANT TO BE FUNNY!

However, I am appreciative of the discussion generated when comparing the two languages on a more serious side. I encourage that discussion to continue. However, anyone who judges a language based on the layout of his or her keyboard really doesn't understand the nature of programming.

So, please, find this funny. It's meant to be funny.

53. Fer using Firefox 3.5.3 on Windows XP | September 25, 2009 at 6:00 am | Permalink

Microsoft will release php.NET muhhaahaahaaa.

54. Aaron using Firefox 3.0.1 on Windows XP | September 25, 2009 at 6:30 am | Permalink

@Fer Now THAT'S funny!

55. Anonymous using Firefox 3.0.14 on Windows XP | September 27, 2009 at 11:18 am | Permalink

qw4 wa4trzxqwer cv

56. Aakash using Firefox 3.5.3 on Windows XP | October 17, 2009 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

for asp.net lovers and php haters

get a list of top 100 websites

atleast 80 of them are written in php
    facebook, Wikipedia, youtube, yahoo etc

57. zalad using Firefox 3.0.14 on Windows Vista | October 21, 2009 at 10:36 pm | Permalink

It is true that .net has a quite some overhead, but i am sure you can make just as good of a website with asp.net as with PHP. They are two respectable languages and unless somebody has done a true benchmark on both languages performances and potential flaws (something else than 230% faster), i don't care about how many website are written with php vs asp.net. Why are there more top websites in PHP than asp.net? maybe because it's cheaper (cost of the hosting /database) to use php. Add to that the general population views of microsoft product and you get people that are against ASP.net rather than pro-PHP

58. Denis using Internet Explorer 8.0 on Windows 7 | January 2, 2010 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

PHP is a complete crap. This is all I'd like to say. no need to mention ASP.NET as it's so much superior to PHP. The amount of morons in comments here is unbelievable.

59. Anonymous using Internet Explorer 7.0 on Windows Vista | February 6, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

@denis...with regards to the amount to morons, u completely right
    "aaaaa being one of them"

60. Jojo using Firefox 3.5.8 on Windows 2000 | March 11, 2010 at 11:37 am | Permalink

PHP is a scripting language, which means it is great for banging out sites easily. PHP, like "Classic" ASP, has a short learning curve compared to .net.

However, when a site starts to scale, and you have lots of back-end business rules, and different modules that are dynamically used, it's much easier to use asp.net.

Look at a pre-built shopping cart in php vs. asp.net, it's much easier to figure out asp.net code; the structure that asp.net is a pain for simple sites but absolutely crucial for larger sites.

If you have multiple developers managing different aspects of a site, asp.net is easier.

Anyone that has developed in both will say the same thing, that's just reality.

61. Jojo using Firefox 3.5.8 on Windows 2000 | March 11, 2010 at 11:44 am | Permalink

When people say that digg, facebook, etc. are PHP sites and therefore PHP is superior, it just shows their ignorance. All of those sites started out in a college dorm with 1 developer with no money. Those kind of sites are meant for PHP.

None of those sites are "enterprises", they are just popular, simple websites. You think digg.com is a difficult site to develop?

When you're talking an enterprise, that has to integrate multiple departments, multiple sets of developers that are coming in and out on a 3-year long project, there is no possible way PHP can compete vs. asp.net.

PHP lovers are bragging that asp.net gives them too much or is too easy to develop? Yeah, you're basically arguing that PHP is more difficult to develop.

The hatred of asp.net coils down to an irrational hatred of Microsoft and nothing more.

I've built small sites, PHP/Classic ASP is great for small sites with 1 developer with no money. asp.net for everything else.

62. abs using Firefox 3.6 on GNU/Linux | March 12, 2010 at 4:52 am | Permalink

@jojo: Who told you that an application written in a dorm room can not be an enterprise application? and who wrote the rule that enterprise application needs 100s of programmers to work on?

For me any application which is worth a few million/billion bucks is an enterprise level application and this includes all the top PHP websites.

63. Swanand using Firefox 3.6 on Windows XP | March 13, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Thanks for such good reply.
    I am a college student & i'm crating a social networking site through PHP as a college project. But i dont know why PHP is great. But after readingyour comments, I feel that I had chosen the correct technology for my project.
    Thanks Once Again!!!

64. Anonymous using Firefox 3.6 on Windows XP | March 21, 2010 at 3:07 am | Permalink

Debugging in ASP.NET using vs is easier than PHP.

For simple sites PHP might be better than ASP.NET.
    But For Complex sites ASP.NET is better.

65. Anonymous using Firefox 3.6 on Windows XP | March 21, 2010 at 3:28 am | Permalink

check these and decide your self

66. deko using Firefox 3.6.3 on Windows 7 | April 24, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

Look at a few popular websites:

1. youtube
    2. facebook
    3. amazon
    4. wikipedia
    5. twitter
    6. flickr
    7. msn

ALL of these use open source technologies--except one. So open source technology (e.g. PHP/Python/MySql/Linux/Apache) is not only very capable of running world-class web sites, it is the more popular choice. This is self-evident.

Why is it more popular? It's NOT because PHP is better than ASP.NET, that's for sure. Anyone who has been in this business for a while knows that price and politics always trump technology. Decision makers care little for the relative advantages of one programming language over another.

As for PHP vs. ASP.NET, it's not a fair comparison. Neither PHP nor ASP.NET are used in a vacuum. They are used as part of a suite of technologies. PHP is invariably used with a LAMP server and ASP.NET is always used with Windows, IIS and a host of other MS technologies.

So the choice is not one language over another, but rather one suite of technologies over another. For a decision maker, this is about price and politics; for the developer it's a career choice: it's about where to invest your time and talent. It takes many years and a huge amount of effort to acquire expertise in a particular programming language. Human nature comes into play. Of course people defend their career decisions with a passion (as we've seen in this thread).

The choice is ultimately not one language over another, but rather one community over another. Sure, there are some advantages to ASP.NET and some advantages to PHP. But these are insignificant when compared the larger environment in which each of those technologies are used.

I've been a MS developer for several years and have pretty much picked my poison at this point. I make a decent living and my children are well provided for. But if I were approached by a venture capitalist with $100 million to develop the next killer app, the question of what technology to use would NOT be based on what developers think!

67. William using Firefox 3.6.8 on Windows XP | August 4, 2010 at 8:46 am | Permalink

PHP vs .NET - Im tired of hearing the conversation. They are both strong languages that do the job very well and they are both very powerful at creating both websites and applications.

PHP is slower to code??? Dude maybe you just don't know the language or the concept of OOP or the variety of shorthand tricks to make coding faster.

Bottom line - Google, Facebook and Amazon all use PHP extensively in their applications so if PHP is really inferior then ask yourself why the biggest names on the web use it as much as they do...

68. Roper using Firefox 3.6.8 on Windows XP | August 27, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

Alright, here's the thing. I AM NOT A DEVELOPER. I AM NOT GOING TO CLAIM TO BE A DEVELOPER. I am a graphic designer who dips into web design. I have been doing this for half a decade and the bulk of that time I worked with Microsoft Apps. NOOO MOOOORE. I find nothing redeeming in dot.net. I hear php is unforgiving...WHAT? You stick a wrong character in a dot.net app and watch that sucker blow up. With PHP - that part of your page just doesn't work. Load times, well just server tweaks for PHP, but WTF is up with even a simple dot.net app. Everybody on both sides just screams. I don't have a dog in the hunt. I LIKED old classic ASP. It responded quickly. Some really really HUGE websites, lets call em applications to make everybody happy are written in PHP. I think windows PC application developers because the WHOLE point of Dot.Net was to bring in stand alone app developers into the web world and that makes sense but really PHP has plodded along and displaced pretty much every non-microsoft platform there is. They are not the same, their goals are not they same. I have spent hours of my life debugging php issues. As for DOT.NET DAYS! As for browsers I WILL NEVER use IE unless I hit an old site that forces active X. I have a client (law firm) - A couple of the partners can't seem to behave online and they don't mind paying me to clean up the muck they got from gambling and porn on their PC's. SOOO after three office overhauls I mandated Firefox a year ago. NO BUGS. The proof is in the pudding. I don't want to reinvent the wheel and some MS zealots screaming my pocket protector is bigger than yours doesn't work. The PROOF is in the pudding. PHP is rapid, low overhead functionality and OH YEAH it doesn't add a bunch of bloated code so pages perform VERY VERY WELL on Google (a non-Microsoft shop) Do they develop small applications Mr. Dot.Net? Amazon....Facebook...Wikipedia...hell most wiki's...eBay? None of these internet giants use Dot.Net for any of their primary systems, Yahoo didn't either until Microsoft bought them. Good enough for Google is good enough for me. I don't need a Decision engine - I can be my own decider... PHP works. Dot.net Sucks resources, it sucks time, it sucks money out of my pockets for development IDE's and DATABASE software...really ....database shouldn't come with a server OS? PHP works, its clean which is great for SEO, and Dot.Net doesn't.

69. Noob42 using Firefox 3.6.3 on Windows 7 | October 26, 2010 at 7:40 am | Permalink

Nice post,
    I am a PHP developer but now I prefer using .NET
    .NET is way better as you don't have to write code..
    You just need to drag and drop..
    Developing a real time web application in PHP becomes a Pain in the a**,
    as the number of codes you got to write increases..

70. Aaron using Google Chrome 6.0.472.59 on Windows 7 | October 26, 2010 at 8:49 am | Permalink

Heh. Heaven forbid you learn anything. :)

71. khan using Firefox 3.6.12 on Windows 7 | November 9, 2010 at 10:59 am | Permalink

I have used ASP.Net + SQL for almost all of my applications. Here is what I concluded:

1. PHP is faster than ASP.Net
    2. Its much faster to write a huge application in ASP.Net and optimize it for performance and usability.

PS: Drag drop is of no use as any application written for 1000+ concurrent users have at least 9 other things more important and time consuming things

72. Don using Firefox 3.6.9 on Windows 7 | December 6, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

I have to admit that i started my programming career learning to develop windows apps. Then web development and server side scripting caught my attention. My first language was PHP. it was fun to develop in PHP but it took TIME. Lots of TIME. Learning curve was huge.

So i stopped web development for a while and focused on windows application development. After a few worldwide competitions and a few trophies I was hired and the company needed web apps. I QUICKLY transformed my c# and html markup knoledge into a paycheck using ASP.NET

As you can see from my young career that i learned asp.net because of what i was comfortable with and what i had time for.

I must say that i can build an application much faster than i can with php but looking on amazon and facebook i envy what those programmers can do. Clean websites, SCALABLE and quite cost efficient

So my view on the two platforms is that asp.net can do what PHP does much FASTER (As in development time).
    But php can do what ASP.NET does much cheaper, cleaner and efficient.

P.S if your ASP.NET app is sluggish disable debugging from your web.config!

also, check out MVC and tell me what you think. What do i think? Cleaner

73. .NET LOOOOOOOOOOVER using Internet Explorer 8.0 on Windows 7 | January 2, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

when u talk about php u r simply talk about asp
    ASP.NET IS TECHNOLOGY NO JUST A LANGUAGE
    THEN FUCK PHP GO A HEAD AND MASTER .NET
    U CAN GET MONEY EASILY HAHAHA SEE YOU

74. jimmy using Internet Explorer 6.0 on Windows XP | January 21, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

EUD8Wl http://chfEd38MkKsw7cXv0x3Dlc3b7.com

75. Zack Spencer using Firefox 3.6.16 on Ubuntu 64 bits | April 28, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

I love this! I was thinking about this just the other day while I was making a -very- simple fan-site for a game. This was actually a big turn-off to me as well. I also dislike that Django's templating language is similar to ASP.NET.

76. Tech Frill using Google Chrome 12.0.742.112 on Windows XP | July 10, 2011 at 3:13 am | Permalink

In the past ASP has proved to be an invaluable tool for E-sites. it makes them dynamic,interactive,and user friendly. Besides speeding up processing, it also helps to maintain data integrity and the much needed security fir business sites.

77. Garth using Internet Explorer 9.0 on Windows 7 | January 24, 2012 at 8:45 am | Permalink

This is commical, This debate has gone on literally for years! I'm an 18 year old developer who started coding when I was 16, almost three years ago. I prefer asp.net because it's much simpler to script, and performance wise it's better than PHP in my opinion.
    But we all have our different opinion, you stick to yours, I'll stick to mine, besides I think the real reason you all choose php is because hosting for Windows is much more expensive than Linux/Php combo. Majority of the fortune five hundred companies use asp.net? Why? Because we share the same opinion.

78. fff using Firefox 7.0.1 on Windows 7 | February 1, 2012 at 9:22 pm | Permalink

fffffffffffff

79. rupali p using Firefox 11.0 on Windows XP | May 4, 2012 at 4:18 am | Permalink

Very Goog Logic

80. sumit using Firefox 22.0 on Windows 7 | June 5, 2013 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

PHP and asp.net both are to good language. but php is wide spread open source and most of solution available.

81. sumit using Firefox 22.0 on Windows 7 | June 5, 2013 at 10:27 pm | Permalink

visit :http://www.pandyasoftwares.com

82. codepat using Firefox 23.0 on Windows 7 | August 23, 2013 at 6:01 am | Permalink

PHP is the best language,ONLY.

83. HostForLIFE.eu using Google Chrome 32.0.1700.76 on Windows 7 | February 3, 2014 at 2:05 am | Permalink

Both are the same good. It is just different language, like Spain and English. We love asp.net and our site also developed by asp.net. Just check http://hostforlife.eu

{ 1 } Trackback

1. PThree.org » Learning Dvorak | January 15, 2006 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

[...] I have devoted all of my time learning the two handed Dvorak keyboard layout. Why? Definitely after my post just a couple of days ago about the convenience of the QWERTY layout with respect to PHP and navigating a non-Windows machine?!? Because I sit at a keyboard all day long (as most of us programmers do), and I have been suffering from RSI (repetitive stress injury). Being a piano player, I know all about carpal tunnel and proper technique when sitting at the keyboard, and typing is no different. [...]