Goodbye Gaim- Forever

Since Open Discussion Day, I have connected personally to Jabber as my only means of IM communication, and I haven't looked back. I don't miss MSN, AIM, ICQ (although I am stuck using that at work), or Yahoo!. It's been wonderful connecting only to Jabber using my Gmail account.

Well, since connecting, I just need a client that connects to Jabber only. Because I only use Linux, I don't need one that is cross-platform compatible, although that would be nice if needed. Well, through the past little bit, I have been torn from what client to use. I want a client that has good encryption capabilities, and has SOCKS 5 proxy support. I want a client that can send a single message to more than one contact simultaneously, and I want a client that takes advantage of the features that Jabber offers, such as resources and priority. I don't care about eye candy, themes, plugins, or any of that.

Well, Gaim certainly isn't meeting my needs, and the Gaim devs aren't interested in listening to its user base. So it's goodbye Gaim. I don't see why I should use FOSS when the devs aren't listening to the Gaim community. Just browse through the feature requests, and you'll see what I mean.

So, from here on out, PSI meets all my needs great, with Gajim coming in a close 2nd. And, the Psi devs and Gajim devs are interested in their users and what they have to say.

Why am I posting this with such a negative tone? Because maybe I can help others who connect to Jabber see the light also, and if the Gaim devs ever stop by my blog, maybe they'll open their eyes a little, and make the client much more usable.

1. Peter Abilla using Firefox 1.5.0.5 on Windows XP | September 14, 2006 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Have you tried meebo.com? It's based on Gaim, but usable via your browser, rather than a stand-alone, downloadable client. It's pretty cool.

2. Aaron using Firefox 1.5.0.6 on GNU/Linux | September 14, 2006 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Yeah. It doesn't meet my needs. Pretty cool though.

3. Steve Dibb using Mozilla Compatible 5.0 on GNU/Linux 64 bits | September 14, 2006 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

"Well, Gaim certainly isn’t meeting my needs, and the Gaim devs aren’t interested in listening to its user base."

No freaking kidding.

I have a *wondrous* idea for them -- how about a BUGFIX branch only and then a new features branch?

4. phoenyx using Unknown on Unknown O.S. | December 18, 2006 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

I'm still using gaim at work because it supports so many different protocols. However, I've heard that bitlbee (http://www.bitlbee.org/main.php/news.html) + irssi is a nice alternative.

5. misterhaan using Firefox 2.0.0.3 on Windows XP | May 4, 2007 at 10:07 am | Permalink

so i'm not just an idiot who can't find the jabber priority setting in gaim -- there actually isn't one? that's a shame since jabber/xmpp is the best im protocol i've seen, and a major reason for that is the resource/priority feature which lets me connect to the same account from multiple computers.

too bad miranda is only for windows!

6. Aaron using Firefox 2.0.0.3 on Ubuntu 64 bits | May 4, 2007 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

misterhaan- I know. Too bad, eh? libgaim needs a serious overhaul. It needs to implement the jabber spec completely, not just partially. It's Free Software, so I don't understand what the deal is.

However, if you're looking for a good Jabber client for Linux, I would highly recommend Gajim. Solid, solid client. It implements the entire Jabber/XMPP specification.

7. Amy Rose using Konqueror 3.5 on Kubuntu | June 6, 2007 at 2:42 am | Permalink

I hope this doesn't make me evil for using Kopete because most of my friends are on computers owned by their parents and their parents won't let them use anything other than Windows Messenger because they can't install more on their computers (they're kids mostly, and I'm not that old myself).

It would be nice if I only needed Jabber, but sadly, this is something that I can't change if I want to stay in touch with my friends. :(

8. Joe using Konqueror 3.5 on Kubuntu | August 22, 2007 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

Anyone had any better luck since they moved to Pidgin?

I use Kopete myself and I am super happy with it for my needs.

But on Windoze, I want a Jabber client that's a little GUIer then Psi. Psi is always my #1 choice for troubleshooting Jabber server setups on any platform (client or server), but it's a little too "clean and simple" for my day-to-day.

9. Nick using Firefox 2.0.0.6 on GNU/Linux | September 12, 2007 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

Joe, for windows check our miranda. As another poster said, it would be great if miranda was on linux.

10. sagatak using Debian IceWeasel 2.0.0.12 on Debian GNU/Linux | March 12, 2008 at 4:44 am | Permalink

joe, you just made me install psi :). if it's that clean, i'm going to love it