Poll: Select Your Linux IM Client

What is your primary IM client in Linux?
View Results

1. Ralesk | February 17, 2007 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

Miranda? I thought it was Windows-only. (My IM of choice on Windows, actually)

2. Alex Jones | February 17, 2007 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

Gossip. Dunno how you missed that one off. 😛

3. Aaron | February 17, 2007 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

Ralesk- Miranda is available for Linux. 🙂

Alex- Good point. Aside from that, I should have an other category too. I'll add it.

4. Flannel | February 17, 2007 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

What about centericq?

5. Christer Edwards | February 17, 2007 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

I used gaim for a long time but I'm a screen + irssi + bitlbee man now.

6. pochu | February 17, 2007 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

What about if I use more than one? I can select them 😀

I use Gajim for Jabber, aMSN for msn, and skype for voIP calls.

Also, xchat for IRC, but I don't know if it's IM :S

Cheers
    Pochu

7. Brian | February 17, 2007 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

Gossip

8. Wafel | February 18, 2007 at 12:25 am | Permalink

I use KADU - most popular im in poland, working on gadu-gadu net, other one is skype, but i have installed it yesterday, because, my friend want to voice talk 🙂

9. James | February 18, 2007 at 2:07 am | Permalink

Actually, "Miranda for Linux" is pretty much the same as "Picasa for Linux"; a windows app in a pretty wine wrapper. I still pine for a true port. Failing that, Gaim 2.0 beta 5 works.

10. test | February 18, 2007 at 2:09 am | Permalink

none

11. johnny cache | February 18, 2007 at 5:55 am | Permalink

yeah, wheres gossip?

12. Aaron | February 18, 2007 at 6:01 am | Permalink

Honestly, I though Gossip wouldn't have much of a following. I can see that is not the case now.

13. Joel | February 18, 2007 at 7:04 am | Permalink

gossip here too

14. Kyle | February 18, 2007 at 9:13 am | Permalink

I used to use gaim religiously, and (very) recently switched to kopete. Sorry, but there's no excuse to not support new protocol features (MSN) for years on end. Never mind the pain that switching statuses for multiple accounts is with gaim, kopete just does everything better.

15. Reqamst | February 18, 2007 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Emacs-Jabber. 🙂

16. Joey Day | February 18, 2007 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Up until now I've used Gaim and never bothered to look at alternatives. Your list provides me with a jumping off point when I get the time to start researching. Thanks!

17. Michael Wheatland | February 18, 2007 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

Here is my summary of the main drawback of GAIM. The interface and lack or features. I mean, I can't believe anyone still uses GAIM without an essential feature set.

18. Aaron | February 18, 2007 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

Michael- I'm glad you chimed in. I too am not fond of Gaim at all. I use Gajim, but then again, I only use Jabber, so it's a perfect fit.

The #1 problem that I have with Gaim is that the devs do not listen to their user base. They are on their own. Just look at the feature requests, and how often they are denied, without any decent reason.

19. Joergen Ramskov | February 20, 2007 at 8:12 am | Permalink

I use Psi for Jabber (its Jabber support is better most others) and Kopete for MSN.

20. mike | February 22, 2007 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

gaim for icq and msn (90%)

gajim for jabber and jabber MUC (10%)

21. Markus Bertheau | February 23, 2007 at 10:51 pm | Permalink

Gossip, for everything, over jabber transports.

22. Myra | October 22, 2008 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

Pidgin & Amsn & licq

{ 1 } Trackback

1. [...] content. However, due to the recent poll about which IM client you use, I’ve setup another. In the last poll, the top 5 Linux clients that are currently in operation are, as a result of my poll, in order from [...]