RSS Feeds- Visited Yet Again

After reading Nick's post about Scoble and the RSS Feeds that he reads, I thought I would throw yet another hat in for RSS and what I've finally settled on.

In my last post, I published the feeds that I read and the reader that I was using to read my feeds, namely Bloglines. Well, Bloglines wasn't really "cutting" it for me, so I was still on the lookout for a good web-based RSS reader. After having tried many RSS desktop applications for my reading, mainly, Thunderbird, Sage in Firefox, Liferea, Straw, Akregator, and even FeedBurner, NewsGator and SharpReader in Windows, and a few web-based RSS apps, namely Google Reader, Bloglines and FeedLounge, I've come to the conclusion that all RSS readers suck.

Well, in the comments in my last post, someone mentioned Gregarius, an OSS web-based feed reader that you can serve from your own server. While it's certainly not the Crème de la Crème of RSS readers, it's nice that I can publish it under my own domain, and fix bugs as I come across them. Not to mention, the possibility of designing my own custom theme, which is currently in the works. So, Gregarius, at this point, is the shoe that fits, and the RSS reader that sucks less.

In Nick's post, there is a video of Robert Scoble discussing what he looks for in a post while reading one of his 600+ feeds. He mentions using Google Reader as his application of choice. I used Google Reader for a short time period, until the lack of a search box, as ironic as it is coming from The Great Search Engine, got under my skin, and I moved to Bloglines. Bloglines had it's own issues as well, so Gregarius seems to be working. I don't read 600+ feeds, then again, maybe I do with all the publishers to planets, but I do have a decent amount of news coming in, and it keeps me up-to-date with the latest in the tech industry. You can read my feeds here.

I am still on the lookout for good RSS readers that are web-based. I would prefer to host it under my own domain, but if the web application is solid (it sucks even less), then I'm willing to give it a shot. Of course, I'm also still on the lookout for good RSS feeds as well.

1. Craig using Firefox 2.0.0.3 on Ubuntu | May 31, 2007 at 8:55 am | Permalink

I used gregarius up until about a month ago when I discovered ttrss (http://tt-rss.spb.ru/). I prefer ttrss's interface, and it deals much better with a large number of feeds (I always have had problems with gregarius performance sucking more and more as I went from 10 feeds to 30).

2. Technofreak using Konqueror 3.5 on Kubuntu | May 31, 2007 at 9:24 am | Permalink

I agree that there almost all RSS readers suxx in one way or another. But, somehow am not confortable with web based RSS readers. I prefer something in my desktop, which will sit in the system panel and will announce whenever a new feed arrives. After a long search and trying out half a dozen of the web based one, I felt akregator to be moderately OK. at least it provides more options with respect to how and when a feed should be updated and how many feeds should be maintained in the reader and such. Still, the search for one ultimate RSS reader which satisfies me continues. :)

3. Chris Rohde using Firefox 2.0.0.4 on Windows XP | May 31, 2007 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Aaron:
    I don't remember where I read it (wanna say scoble's page) but the google reader search box will be coming very soon.
    I can't live without it personally, and for the same reasons he uses it... news river, easy keyboard shortcuts, and star/tag/share very quickly as well.

love it.

4. Jason using Firefox 2.0.0.3 on Ubuntu | May 31, 2007 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

You're welcome!

5. Askrates using Firefox 2.0.0.3 on Ubuntu | May 31, 2007 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

Hi Aaron,

I enjoy reading your blog, but I had to make a comment on this particular post.

You say you are looking for "good RSS feed readers", and that is a somewhat weak expression, IMHO. I know a pair of good tools myself, but as long as you don't say what makes or breaks a good feedreader, it is hard to offer any advice. Are you looking for specific functionality, integration, etc?

Likewise, because enjoy learning from the experiences of other people, I would like to know just what it is that makes an RSS reader "Suck" in your opinion (apart from the lack of a search box and theming)

Hope you dont mind the critique :)

Keep posting!

6. Marius Gedminas using Firefox 2.0.0.3 on Ubuntu | June 1, 2007 at 1:17 am | Permalink

I use Planet for my blog reading needs, with some custom Javascript to remember which posts I've already read. Adding new feeds is inconvenient, but it works offline. The read posts are stored in a browser cookie, which means, yay, offline!, but also ties down all the reading to a single browser on a single computer.

7. Vic using Konqueror 3.5 on Kubuntu | June 1, 2007 at 7:57 am | Permalink

G'day Aaron, your post inspired me to check out Gregarius for my RSS-reading needs, and I agree it's very neat. However, I encountered a problem: I can't subscribe to Planet Ubuntu! I get a "Failed to parse RSS file" error. I figured this must have worked for you, so I'm curious to know which version of Gregarius you used -- I went with the "current stable" 0.5.4, which seems to be about a year old. An SVN checkout might be the way to go...

8. Vic using Konqueror 3.5 on Kubuntu | June 1, 2007 at 9:16 am | Permalink

Sorry :) Seems like RSS 2.0 support is lacking in Gregarius thanks to MagpieRSS. Planet Ubuntu's RSS 1.0 feed works well, but the Kubuntu blog doesn't because they've only got an RSS 2.0 feed.

So I could use Gregarius, but then I'd miss out on everyone's cool hackergotchis! :P

Shame that tt-rss (suggested by Craig) also uses MagpieRSS... the tt-rss demo site tries to access Planet Ubuntu but gets the same error as I saw with Gregarius.

I saw in some of the Gregarius doco that they are looking to switch to a different RSS parser. Might keep an eye out for (or help!) that.

Thanks for the post Aaron!

9. Aaron using Firefox 2.0.0.3 on Ubuntu | June 1, 2007 at 11:26 am | Permalink

@Craig- Unfortunately, Tiny Tiny RSS does not allow the use of Firebug while using the preferences section. Being a web developer, I'm not going to switch browsers or uninstall/disable extensions, just to use the product. Also, there does not seem to be any sort of user/admin account system. It has potential, but, maybe later.

@Chris- I am back to using Google Reader temporarily. It was the lack of searching that made it not desirable, but if it's built soon, I may just stick with it.

@Jason- Heh. Thanks. :)

@Askrates- My definition of "all RSS readers suck" is by experience on trying many different flavors. Each has their own issues. What features am I looking for specifically? I dunno, but I know that after using a product for a while whether or not it's getting under my skin.

@Vlc- I would recommend using Atom 1.0 over RSS *, as Atom is based more on XML standards as well as publishing it's own standard that has been recognized by the IETF. Good luck in your search for a good feed reader, though!

10. Jason using Firefox 2.0.0.3 on Ubuntu | June 1, 2007 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

It will be very nice once Simplepie goes 1.0 and Gregarius ditches Magpie in favor of SP...