Movable Type 4.0 Beta Released

I'm 3 days behind in pushing out this news, however, after getting my daily dose of Technorati, and seeing all the posts about Movable Type going GPL with version 4, I had to comment.

First off, I am excited to see Movable Type get back on its feet with respect to the community. It's history of proprietary enterprise solutions and restricting licenses have kept it from becoming the preferred blogging platform for many. As such, a less powerful, but nonetheless Free Software solution, WordPress has taken the scene as the big daddy of blogging CMS. I use WordPress as my blog platform, and fully support it. Now that Movable Type is going GPL, however, I'm wondering if it's too late for Movable Type to enter the market as a Free Software CMS. It does solve some of the issues that plagues WordPress installs and I wonder how WordPress is going to respond.

For example, I would much rather be running WordPress on top PostgreSQL than MySQL, due to the reputation of data integrity and scalability of PostgreSQL. However, WordPress just supports MySQL. Also, I would like to see some way to update my WordPress installation without running a separate script to handle the upgrade. From what I understand, Movable Type supports this natively with CGI scripts that perform all the necessary functions. Movable Type seems to support a number of other features such as LDAP and Oracle DBs, which could be important to others.

In the long run, I may consider making the switch from WordPress to Movable Type when 4.0 is stable. In the meantime, I'm interested in reasons why I should stay with WordPress or why I should move to Movable Type. For starters, as mentioned previously, I would prefer to have PostgreSQL powering my database rather than MySQL. Any thoughts? Vote in the poll after the jump.

This is a poll utilizing AJAX. It will not work properly in your feed reader. You will need to visit this site's post if you would like to vote in the poll. Thanks.

Should I make the switch?
View Results

1. Hub using Firefox 2.0.0.4 on Ubuntu | June 8, 2007 at 11:36 am | Permalink

What about those that don't use WP? I personaly use DotClear. :-)

2. Jason using Firefox 2.0.0.4 on Ubuntu | June 8, 2007 at 11:49 am | Permalink

MT's CGIs and such annoyed me to no end.

Unless MT4 is a radical departure from their history, I still see no reason to use it personally. (I suppose I should read details, changelogs, etc.).

A shame though, native OpenID support is mouth watering.

3. Pharao using Firefox 2.0.0.3 on Ubuntu | June 8, 2007 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

I'll definitely make the switch. I'm just sick of the security problems with wordpress and looked for some alternatives. I don't rally like pybloxsom and s9y and the fact, that mt uses perl is IMHO a +.
    I started to evaluate it after the beta release and I'm really impressed how fast and easy it works and how powerfull the plugins are.

4. Aaron using Firefox 2.0.0.4 on Ubuntu | June 8, 2007 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

@Hub- Never heard of it. However, I'm only concerned about WordPress and Movable Type. I am aware that there are plenty of other options out there.

@Jason- Movable Type supports OpenID out of the box? That makes it even more tempting.

@Pharo- I've never had to deal with the security issues with WordPress, but I have heard that they have been a problem for others. Any idea how the Movable Type security stacks up?

5. Hub using Firefox 2.0.0.4 on Ubuntu | June 8, 2007 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

I was kidding with DotClear (even though that the one I use), just that the poll is awkward with its choices.

Back to MT4, apparently it is not yet Free Software... Let's wait and see.

6. Brian Polanski using Opera 9.21 on Windows XP | June 8, 2007 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

Will the switch help you tell the difference between "its" and "it's"? If so, please do make the switch.

7. Pharao using Firefox 2.0.0.3 on Ubuntu | June 8, 2007 at 11:52 pm | Permalink

@Aaron
    seems pretty good. I didn't find much about real problems.

8. Aaron using Firefox 2.0.0.4 on Ubuntu | June 9, 2007 at 5:22 am | Permalink

@Brian- And please tell me where I misused the word "its"? Every instance on the page is correct, both in my post and Hub's comment. Maybe you should retake your English class. Either that, or get your money back.

9. mike using Internet Explorer 6.0 on Windows XP | June 9, 2007 at 5:53 am | Permalink

MT is written in Perl...

So stay with WP or better try S9Y

10. Aaron using Firefox 2.0.0.4 on Ubuntu | June 9, 2007 at 6:00 am | Permalink

@Hub- Yeah. It looks like the beta isn't Free Software... yet. When version 4 is officially released, it will be GPL code. Until then, I definitely won't be making the switch.

11. Brian Polanski using Opera 9.21 on Windows XP | June 9, 2007 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

@Aaron

"It’s history of proprietary enterprise . . ."

Unless you mean: "It is history of proprietary enterprise . . .", in which case you may have bigger problems, that "it's" should be an "its". "its" is the possessive form.

12. phoenyx using Links on Debian GNU/Linux | June 11, 2007 at 10:32 am | Permalink

There are more things to consider than just mysql vs. postgresql. Can you get the same functionality in MT as you have with your current WP plugins? How hard is it to get your current theme working in MT?

13. Mihai Bocsaru using Firefox 2.0.0.4 on Windows XP | June 28, 2007 at 8:22 am | Permalink

Discover Movable Type v4.0 without any effort. Go and check out the full featured online demo that's updated for you on a continuous basis

14. sooran using Firefox 3.5.2 on Windows XP | September 16, 2009 at 11:19 pm | Permalink

tancks
    this post very very helped me !

Good Time