Firefox & Deer Park Browser Logos

firefoxlogo.png  deerparklogo.png

Take a good look at those two images. Someone, for the love of everything good and holy, please explain to me what part of the Earth that is supposed to represent. Oh. It's not supposed to represent Earth? Then, why spend the time getting some design to represent land and water, but not make it represent Earth, the very planet we live on, and most likely, the same location that Firefox is hoping to lead in browser market share?

Am I the only one who has noticed this? Just curious.

1. Adders using Firefox 2.0.0.4 on Windows XP | June 13, 2007 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

They didn't make it look like places because theres no way to fit every continent on to an icon. People from all countries contribute to Mozilla/Firefox, so why should only one part of the world be displayed on the icon?

2. Caruts using Konqueror 3.5 on Kubuntu | June 13, 2007 at 9:45 pm | Permalink

Yes actually i was going to say the same, there's no way to make all the world fit in the icon, so, which part of the world would you pick? It just wouldn't be fair to the other half of the world :D

3. Daniel using Opera 9.21 on GNU/Linux | June 13, 2007 at 10:50 pm | Permalink

Check this bug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=262173

Perhaps it's fortunate that the globe isn't the Earth? :)

4. Roel Groeneveld using Firefox 2.0.0.4 on Windows XP | June 14, 2007 at 12:27 am | Permalink

Well, they couldn't use an image of Earth because a certain guy named God holds the copyright. ;)

5. Huygens using Firefox 2.0.0.4 on Windows XP | June 14, 2007 at 12:40 am | Permalink

Thank you Roel =D that was the most funny comment in a while that I read!!
    Anyway, I agree with the first posts. This is politically correct, no continent/country/whatever get the spotlight with such a Globe. But still everyone recognise it as our Earth: great work!

6. Nick Kew using Firefox 2.0.0.4 on Ubuntu | June 14, 2007 at 12:45 am | Permalink

Why suppose it took effort? Programs like gimp will generate images like that randomly - just select the palette, etc.

7. Cyvros using Minefield 3.0a6pre on Windows Vista | June 14, 2007 at 12:50 am | Permalink

@Roel Groeneveld: Apparently not. I heard that Steve Ballmer actually owns the patent for all the continents except Antarctica (which is being held onto for insurance purposes) these days - there was a rather controversial agreement between Microsoft and Heaven a few centuries back.

8. Cyvros using Minefield 3.0a6pre on Windows Vista | June 14, 2007 at 1:05 am | Permalink

Miscellaneous thing I just noticed: I'm using Firefox 3.0a6pre, but it's showing up here as Mozilla 1.9a6pre. Does anyone know if this is just how the browser identifies itself?

9. Ken using Minefield 3.0a6pre on Windows XP | June 14, 2007 at 1:17 am | Permalink

I think it's a globe of the internet. There's an island of e-mail, some gophering, an island of irc. The ugly looking bit is myspace.

(BTW, you're recorded as using Mozilla 1.9a6pre because of your browser sends something like: "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a6pre)" in its headers. My Minefield does the same.)

10. Karl Zollner using Firefox 2.0.0.3 on GNU/Linux | June 14, 2007 at 3:19 am | Permalink

what makes u think that is supposed to be the earth in the background ;)

11. Andrea Micheloni using Firefox 2.0.0.4 on Ubuntu | June 14, 2007 at 3:32 am | Permalink

I agree with everyone here: It's politically correct.
    Just try visiting the bug Daniel reported...

12. Joseph Hall using Firefox 1.5.0.2 on GNU/Linux | June 14, 2007 at 4:59 am | Permalink

I spoke with the creator of the Firefox logo when I did the cookies based on it. It was in fact his intention to represent a planet which looked like Earth, but did not showcase any particular continent. I applaud the effort.

13. Aaron using Firefox 2.0.0.4 on Ubuntu | June 14, 2007 at 6:15 am | Permalink

So, if I understand this discussion here:

1) we, as software developers are pansies, and have to have our country shown, or our feelings will be hurt, and we won't develop for the project?

2) we would rather represent some fictional planet where none of us are from, then our actual planet, where we all are from, and where some of us would be lucky enough to have our continent visible?

Both seem childish. Sorry. I'm just not buying it. I would much rather see some representation of Earth, even if my continent was not visible, then none at all. And, if we as devs fought over that when the logo was being designed, then that is just sad IMHO.

14. Cyvros using Minefield 3.0a6pre on Windows Vista | June 14, 2007 at 6:19 am | Permalink

@Ken: Thanks for that.

@Aaron: Sure, they may seem childish, but I'd be insulted if all I saw was, say, North America.

Maybe if they showcased a neutral area like Antarctica. At least a bit of Australia would be shown. :D

15. Bill using Firefox 1.5.0.8 on Ubuntu | June 14, 2007 at 7:11 am | Permalink

Seriously, I don't get you Aaron.

16. Aaron using Firefox 2.0.0.4 on Ubuntu | June 14, 2007 at 7:33 am | Permalink

@Cyvros- Why be insulted? I guess I don't understand.

@Bill- Is it because logic is difficult to understand?

17. Chonkos using Safari 419.3 on Mac OS | June 14, 2007 at 7:51 am | Permalink

What browser wants to be associated with a conglomerate of idiots, anyway.

18. Zonker using Firefox 2.0.0.4 on Ubuntu | June 14, 2007 at 8:12 am | Permalink

Just my two cents, it's an icon, I don't think about it that much. So what if the continents don't match up?

19. Hare using Opera 9.20 on Windows XP | June 14, 2007 at 11:50 am | Permalink

What makes you think it's even a planet? Could be a kind of jewel, or a marble, or an alien's bald head viewed from above. It needs the panda to warm its head.

20. John using Firefox 2.0.0.4 on Ubuntu | June 14, 2007 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Instead of creating a globe with no countries on it, why not create one with all of them on it? For example: Linspire's . I know they are considered the devil right now for partnering with Microsoft, but forget that and just look at the logo. Granted much of Asia is not pictured, but they manage to squash a lot of the map together in such a way that it includes 4 continents, perhaps it could be (unrealistically) stretched so that more of asia appeared on the globe.

21. ak using Firefox 2.0.0.3 on Ubuntu | June 14, 2007 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

Why not follow the UN logo?

22. David Adam using Firefox 2.0.0.4 on Windows XP | June 14, 2007 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

You're right, that is important.

23. Jason Brower using Firefox 2.0.0.4 on Ubuntu | June 14, 2007 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

They are meeting hig guidelines.
    I know, you look at my programs and thing, he read that thing!? But here it is...
    "Section 2.2 Internationalization:
    Internationalization means designing software so that it can function in different language envir-
    onments.[...] Designing icons and
    sounds, and even choosing colors requires some understanding of the connotations they might
    have to a user from a different part of the world.
    Examples of elements it is best to avoid for these reasons include:
    • Pictures of flags or money
    • Maps showing political boundaries or contentious location names
    • Lists of countries or cities in non-alphabetical order (unless specifically requested or required
    by the context)
    • Icons depicting animals
    • Icons depicting only hands or feet"
    Hope that helps...
    Jason Brower

24. Cyvros using Minefield 3.0a6pre on Windows Vista | June 15, 2007 at 11:08 am | Permalink

@Aaron: Because I live in Australia.

People want to be credited. People don't want to be left out after their hard work has been incorporated into a very international project.

If I were an actual developer and not some guy not even doing computing, I'd feel pretty rejected.

25. Amy Rose using Internet Explorer 6.0 on GNU/Linux | June 19, 2007 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

I never noticed it, but, OK... ^_^

26. ab using Firefox 2.0.0.4 on Windows XP | June 22, 2007 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

It's obviously not water!
    If it's a foreign planet it's more likely to be methane or nitrogen or something similarly deadly, yet beautiful from afar.

27. skoob using Gran Paradiso 3.0a5 on GNU/Linux | June 24, 2007 at 1:57 am | Permalink

No! The bikeshed should be painted periwinkle! Any other colour is unacceptable.

28. Freespace using Firefox 1.5.0.9 on Windows NT | September 12, 2007 at 3:01 am | Permalink

Good pickup, never looked at logos as close as this. Maybe the next redesign should incorporate Earth and not some other planet. Maybe thats the picture of the future earth when we all destroy it.

{ 1 } Trackback

1. [...] I’ve been paying special attention to logos and symbols. I don’t know why, but the Ubuntu logo caught my eye in a way that I [...]