Network Naming Schemes

With my post about my home network, and the Greek play that I conduct with the computers, a lot of comments came in about what others use to name the host devices on their network. I'd like to share those, as not everyone reads blog comments. Here they are:

• D&D 3.5 classes
  • Dragons
  • Astronomy phenomena
  • Important computer people
  • Homestar Runner characters and objects
  • Star names (big balls of gas, not celebrities)
  • Greek and Roman gods
  • Middle Earth names
  • Alien names
  • Cat, human and character names
  • Simpsons characters
  • Muppet names
  • Chef names
  • Spices
  • Latin words for the 7 deadly sins
  • Character names from StarGate
  • Based on the Bulbous Bouffant skit from the Vestibules
  • United States cities, where the 2nd letter is an 'e'

Good stuff. Hopefully, this will give you some good ideas for naming the computers on your network.

1. Athropos using Firefox 2.0.0.6 on Ubuntu | August 22, 2007 at 11:26 pm | Permalink

In the research lab where I was previously working, they were using Belgian beers. And believe me, there's a lot of them :-)

2. Alan Pope using Firefox 2.0.0.6 on Ubuntu | August 23, 2007 at 1:22 am | Permalink

I use computers from Science Fiction. I have a pretty comprehensive list here:-

3. mark using Firefox 2.0.0.6 on Ubuntu | August 23, 2007 at 2:52 am | Permalink

What about yummy descriptions for disgusting body characteristics?

Earhoney, nosehair, toecheese, armpitsweat, nosewart, navelfluff, crumblingtooth, garlicbreath.

Might not scale well for entire server farms, but perfectly ok for small business or home use.

4. Andy using Firefox 2.0.0.6 on Ubuntu | August 23, 2007 at 2:55 am | Permalink

I use types of meat, but I can't put together a cool story for any of them like you can. But everyone likes beef :)

5. Mikael Eriksson using Firefox 2.0.0.6 on Ubuntu | August 23, 2007 at 4:10 am | Permalink

I have a friend that names all his computers after diseases.

6. tj using Firefox 2.0.0.6 on Ubuntu | August 23, 2007 at 4:43 am | Permalink

my college had a different theme for each lab (infectious diseases, superheroes, etc). my favorite lab was the breakfast cereal lab. cocoapuffs was MY machine. hehe.

7. Trygve Falch using Firefox 2.0.0.6 on Ubuntu | August 23, 2007 at 6:31 am | Permalink

Funny nobody mentioned using Pokemon names!

8. Eduardo Padoan using Firefox 2.0.0.5 on Ubuntu | August 23, 2007 at 7:28 am | Permalink

I used Matrix character names, but for a long time I had only trinity, and had to explain to everyone why would an atheist give such a name to his machine. In the my college, they use the favorite musician of the Intern who configured the machine, like "bbking" and "ironmaiden".
    I think that my next name scheme will be based on "IT Crowd" characters.

9. Eduardo Padoan using Firefox 2.0.0.5 on Ubuntu | August 23, 2007 at 7:35 am | Permalink

@mark:
    a scheme that would scale well enough for must networks: stuff you can write with hex number, like DEADBEEF, BADC0FFE, BABEF00D...

10. Erik using Firefox 2.0.0.6 on Windows XP | August 23, 2007 at 7:56 am | Permalink

I prefer cocktail names, it is funny and you have a lot of them ... ;-)

Greetings
    Erik

11. nnnnnnnn using Firefox 2.0.0.5 on Ubuntu | August 23, 2007 at 9:54 am | Permalink

I prefer Watergate conspirators... sure, some are easy to mistype -- haldeman, ehrlichman, krogh, strachan, etc -- but you also get simple ones like paisley.

12. Anonymous using SeaMonkey 2.0a1pre on GNU/Linux | August 23, 2007 at 10:14 am | Permalink

@mark

I was eating, darn it!

13. Scott using Konqueror 3.5 on Kubuntu | August 23, 2007 at 10:23 am | Permalink

I use cities in Missouri. I've had nixa, rolla, joplin, and claycomo. Then I moved to Missouri out of sheer coincidence and now it's hard to talk about things on the network because you get "Wait, are you talking about the computer Nixa or the town Nixa?"

14. Eric TF Bat using Firefox 2.0.0.6 on Windows XP | August 23, 2007 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

Back in high school, I named my Macintosh floppy disks after the seagulls in Jonathan Livingston Seagull: Jonathan, Fletcher, Kirk, Sullivan and so on. My VMWare virtual machines tend to be named after superheroes' secret identities, in teams according to OS version -- so Clark Kent, Bruce Wayne and Barry Allen are Windows 2000 VMs, Ted Knight and Karen Starr are Windows 98 VMs, Jean Gray and Kitty Pryde are Linux VMs, and so on. Nowadays, all the computers at home are named after animals, because my house's nickname is The Bestiary, in honour of our many real animals (chickens, cat, dog, rats, etc). Oh, and to be specific: laptops are mythical animals, so mine is Manticore and my wife's is Bonacon. The desktops are real animals, the external hard drives are insects, and the phones are fish.

I made lists of potential names. You've got a lot of them there, but I don't see the most obscure one (especially if you're not Australian): Johnny, Sarah Marie, Blair, Ben, Chrissie, Lisa and so on -- they're the "characters" from the first season of Big Brother.

15. Jon using Firefox 2.0.0.6 on Ubuntu | August 23, 2007 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

I currently use the names of movements in the Tai-Chi short form, but have worked at companies where we used the names of heavy metal bands, musical instruments, or cities where we would like to move to.

16. Charles using Konqueror 3.5 on Kubuntu | August 23, 2007 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

Lord Of The Rings characters are very popular. I lose count of how many aragorn's I've seen, and mordor.local is the ever popular domain name. Here no-one needs to guess what OS runs on smeagol, or what blackgate does...

17. Jim Cooncat using Firefox 2.0.0.6 on Ubuntu | August 24, 2007 at 3:31 am | Permalink

Thank you! I was looking for names people were familiar with, and wouldn't conflict with user names. I was going to use Disney characters, but that has problems: "No, I don't want a computer named Dopey!"

Jon mentioned musical instruments, and I like that since there are natural groups.

Thin clients = keyboards: piano, spinet, accordian

Servers = percussion: bongo, cowbell, cymbal

Fat Clients = brass: trumpet, tuba, trombone

Virtual Machines = strings: guitar, viola, banjo

Routers = woodwinds: flute, oboe, clainet

18. Jj using Firefox 2.0.0.6 on Windows XP | August 24, 2007 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

I use bra manufacturers for mine.

Freya, Charnos, Panache, Cameo, Berlei, Sloggi, Triumph, Gossard, etc.

There are some cool names among those that are not so girly.

19. GliderMike using Firefox 2.0.0.6 on Ubuntu | August 25, 2007 at 1:18 am | Permalink

Guns. Lots of guns. I name all of my systems after my guns. Beretta, AR15, Savage308, M1Garand, etc.

20. irvin using Firefox 2.0.0.6 on OpenBSD | August 25, 2007 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

I use villain names from the cartoon "The Adventures of Jonny Quest". I prefer girl names too!

Right now I only have two (melana and anaya)

{ 1 } Trackback