Google Reader Gets An Update

I pulled up my Google Reader tonight to catch up on all my latest feeds, and low and behold, I notice two things right out the gate:

google_reader.png

Yes, that's right. Search, for the first feature (welcome to the '90s Google) and it can count past 100 (again, welcome to the '90s). It's about freaking time!

1. Al using Firefox 2.0.0.6 on Windows XP | September 5, 2007 at 11:01 pm | Permalink

I have it too. The funny thing is that I had to read your blog to even notice it. The joys of midnight coding.

Note to self: increase caffeine dose.

2. erik using Firefox 2.0.0.6 on Windows XP | September 6, 2007 at 1:51 am | Permalink

Woot!

I bet though that it was under the hood harder to implement than what one could imagine at first. Many people subscribe to the same feeds, and the data for searching has to be copied across the clusters. You don't want to do the searching the brute force way.. So, there must be database trickery behind the feature, and some solid logics.

3. Maxo using Internet Explorer 6.0 on Windows XP | September 6, 2007 at 5:14 am | Permalink

This would have been helpful two days ago. After a (for me) 4-day weekend I had what was probably just under 300 unread blog posts. I was pretty happy when I first saw 99.
    Thanks for the heads up.

4. Anonymous using Firefox 2.0.0.6 on Windows XP | September 6, 2007 at 6:23 am | Permalink

There's also now a little bar with an arrow beside the sidebar, which lets you hide the sidebar.

5. brad using Firefox 2.0.0.6 on Ubuntu | September 6, 2007 at 7:00 am | Permalink

I'm not sure why, but I got the count. but no search feature :(

6. Lasse Havelund using Firefox 2.0.0.6 on Ubuntu | September 6, 2007 at 7:23 am | Permalink

I feel like a retard. I was reading this entry in Google Reader, and yet I'd noticed neither of those features (I had ~300 new entries.

7. Amy Rose using Konqueror 3.5 on Kubuntu | September 6, 2007 at 9:40 pm | Permalink

Heh, I'm wondering if I'm the only one who doesn't like Google Reader. (I prefer to use Konqueror's news sidebar instead, or Akregator)