Goodbye Windows

With the recent news of my wife and I receiving a baby (she's due any moment now), my wife will be quitting her full-time job as a 2nd grade school teacher come June of 2008. This means a lot of changes in our lives (income adjustments, responsibilities, etc), but most importantly, it means that she will no longer need Windows on our desktop.

The last, and final install of Microsoft Windows will be taking the path of the DoDo. The only approved operating systems in the house will be those that are UNIX or UNIX-like, such as Linux, Mac OS X or the *BSDs. Of course, our daughter will learn first hand what it is to run a secure and reliable operating system at home, and hopefully as such, convert her friends to do the same.

I'm counting on my birthday, which is Monday, June 9th, to wipe that hard drive clean, and begin anew with Ubuntu.

1. Brad Johnson using Firefox 2.0.0.8 on Ubuntu | October 29, 2007 at 8:18 am | Permalink

When faced with almost the exact same situation I took the absolute opposite approach. I kept Windows on the Family PC so my son didn't have to go through a learning-curv each and every time he used a computer at school or at a friends house. I taught him the basics of keeping it clean (virus/spyware scans) and eventually he learned to identify the common issues Windows insecurity can lead to.

I would absolutely love him to run Linux (and he wants to) but the world is still a "Windows World" and I want him to be prepared for the reality of that world.

2. Brad Johnson using Firefox 2.0.0.8 on Ubuntu | October 29, 2007 at 8:22 am | Permalink

Please note, I'm not suggesting you leave windows on your family computer, simply explaining why I did. Keep us posted on how your wife and eventually your child enjoy Ubuntu!

3. Matt using Internet Explorer 6.0 on Windows XP | October 29, 2007 at 9:22 am | Permalink

It will be so awesome once your child involves in your family. I have a 11 and half months old son, and he is so amazing little boy I ever had in my life! I know you are excited and wonderful experience. I am glad you are trashing Windows away from your computer because myself was majored in that system. I hate it so much and I just converted to Ubuntu just few months now. I love Ubuntu so much and makes my life much easier with anything! Ubuntu rules!

4. Tim Fuchs using Firefox 1.5.0.4 on Ubuntu | October 29, 2007 at 9:28 am | Permalink

The previous post is pretty funny considering the user-agent.

5. Tim Fuchs using Firefox 2.0.0.8 on Ubuntu | October 29, 2007 at 9:31 am | Permalink

Wow, and mine two. I just realized that my own user-agent was overwritten by a custom setting in about:config.

This blog feature is really nice, I guess it's a WordPress plugin?

6. nasrullah using Opera 9.24 on GNU/Linux | October 29, 2007 at 10:25 am | Permalink

Ubuntu has changed my views about Linux, thank to Linus Torvald and Mark Shuttleworth for their precious contribution to liberate us from Microsoft rule.

7. Filipe Morais using Firefox 2.0.0.8 on Ubuntu | October 29, 2007 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

I have my daughter (14 years old) working with Linux since 11-12 years and if at beginning I had some "why not windows" she starts to adapt and now I had no concerns even on school works.
    For Office - OpenOffice
    For Graphics - Xara and Gimp
    For Messager - AMSN and Pidgin
    and so on

8. phoenyx using Firefox 2.0.0.8 on Ubuntu | October 29, 2007 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

It's good to hear that you are already planning on being a responsible parent.

9. Kevin C using Firefox 2.0.0.8 on Windows XP | October 29, 2007 at 8:46 pm | Permalink

Why wait till June 9th to put Ubuntu on it?

10. JGJones using Opera 9.24 on Windows XP | October 30, 2007 at 5:54 am | Permalink

I have a recycled PC which I put in extra memory and installed Xubuntu on - that's the kid's PC. No Windows in my place.

Both kids are quite skilled in using the computer - I've not taught them anything but encouraged them to try things out and find out what it does themselves - best way to learn.

My son always comment that he can't stand his school computers, they are always crashing :D

11. Simon Scullion using Firefox 2.0.0.8 on Windows XP | November 8, 2007 at 5:24 am | Permalink

Congratulations and good luck with the new arrival! My daughter is coming up to her second birthday, and it has been a wonderful 2 years seeing her grow!

My wife gets by with Ubuntu at home now with almost no guidance, granted, she doesn't do a whole lot, but even more reason not to pay MS for a license!!