Ubuntu 7.10 Polish

This is just a quick post to say that I am really impressed with Ubuntu 7.10. I've been running Debian Sid on my laptop for the past 4 months. Although I'm running 7.10 on my old bed-ridden laptop and on my dual-boot desktop, I haven't really spent the time to play with it. Well today, I discovered bullet-proof X, working-out-of-the-box firewire, sound, wifi and suspend, functional thinkpad keys and much more. Ubuntu just works, and although Debian is rock-solid, Ubuntu just takes it a step further. Not to mention, all the polish. On boot, desktop appearance, fonts and more. Very well done. I may be 2 months behind just getting into 7.10, but all I have to say is job well done to the devs! Very impressed!

1. javier using Firefox 2.0.0.11 on Ubuntu | January 3, 2008 at 1:05 am | Permalink

wow you got the thinkpad buttons, I have a g40 thinkpad but i can't get the volume buttons to work , any advice.

2. Weeber using Firefox 2.0.0.6 on Ubuntu | January 3, 2008 at 6:42 am | Permalink

I'm impressed that my Quickplay buttons on my HP Pavilion laptop worked right out of the box.

3. TomaszD using Firefox 2.0.0.11 on Ubuntu | January 3, 2008 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Aaron please, refrain from using the word "polish", especially with a capital "P".

I'm Polish and this whole "lacks polish", "requires more polish" newspeak is driving me nuts.

Refinement!

4. Aaron using Firefox 2.0.0.11 on Ubuntu 64 bits | January 3, 2008 at 11:36 am | Permalink

@ThoaszD- Thanks for explaining your position. However, all title words in my blog start with a capital letter, and reading the context, readers can clearly see that I'm not referring to the country Poland but the quality of the operating system. However, I'm sorry it drives you nuts as bad as it does.

5. Jason using Safari 523.10.6 on Mac OS | January 3, 2008 at 11:52 am | Permalink

What?

Contextually, the title could equally being saying that a Polish version of Ubuntu 7.10 was created. And no, the Polish people do not necessarily equate "Polish" to "Shine" :P.

(Sorry, just playing Devil's Advocate.)

6. Bob using Firefox 2.0.0.11 on Windows XP | January 3, 2008 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

[quote] Ubuntu just takes it a step further...fonts... [/quote]

I quite agree that Ubuntu has nicer fonts than Debian, especially in Iceweasel/Firefox/Epiphany. Any idea why? I've never been able to find a specific answer as to what the actual differences between Debian and Ubuntu are in that area. And, as much as I monkey with font settings, .conf files and dpkg-reconfigure, I've never discovered a significant difference and have never quite been able to get Debian fonts (especially inside browsers) to look as good as Ubuntu.

Do you know the specific differences between Debain and Ubuntu, as relates to fonts?

Thanks,
    Bob

7. TomaszD using Firefox 2.0.0.11 on Ubuntu | January 4, 2008 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Well yes, the context explains everything, but it really caught my eye as I'm an author of a Ubuntu 7.10 Polish remix.

8. Aaron using Firefox 2.0.0.11 on Ubuntu | January 5, 2008 at 5:24 am | Permalink

@Bob- System -> Preferences -> Appearance -> Fonts -> Details -> Resolution. On Ubuntu, it's set to 96 DPI.

9. Michael using Firefox 2.0.0.11 on Windows XP | January 7, 2008 at 9:01 am | Permalink

TomaszD: Ahem. Does that mean that Ubuntu 7.10 already has plenty of Polish? :D

Sorry, couldn't resist. I thought this post was about a Polish edition as well.