Who Mom Likes

When you travel as much as I do, you have the opportunity- nay, the responsibility- to read man pages. While sharpening the saw, so-to-speak, on increasing my teaching skills, I came across the following command:

[Fri 08/01/11 06:05 MST][pts/1][x86_64/linux-gnu/2.6.22-14-generic][4.3.4]
<aaron@kratos:~>
zsh 31 % who am i
aaron    pts/1        2008-01-11 06:05 (:0.0)

Nothing special about that, but I thought to myself, "Are 'am' and 'i' really options to the 'who' command, or is it just one of those things?" So, i pulled up the man page on 'who'. Looking through the options, I don't see an 'am' or 'i' option. However, at the bottom of the man page, right before the AUTHOR section, the following paragraph is as follows:

If FILE is not specified, use /var/run/utmp.  /var/log/wtmp as FILE  is
       common.   If  ARG1  ARG2  given, -m presumed: ‘am i’ or ‘mom likes’ are
       usual.

The '-m' option just means to print only the user and hostname associated with STDIN. However, the arguments 'mom' and 'likes' are also valid, instead of 'am' and 'i'. Are you serious?! So, from the terminal yet again, the following command is run:

[Fri 08/01/11 06:05 MST][pts/1][x86_64/linux-gnu/2.6.22-14-generic][4.3.4]
<aaron@kratos:~>
zsh 32 % who mom likes
aaron    pts/1        2008-01-11 06:05 (:0.0)

I always knew mom liked me best! :)

1. goozbach using Firefox 2.0.0.10 on Fedora 64 bits | January 11, 2008 at 8:22 am | Permalink

try these, they are fun:

$ who just farted
    $ who ate that
    $ who can go

The possibilities are almost endless

2. ThaddeusQ using Firefox 2.0.0.10 on Fedora | January 11, 2008 at 10:39 am | Permalink

Any two arguments will work. It doesn't have to be "am i" or "mom loves."

3. Wolfger using Firefox 2.0.0.11 on Windows XP | January 11, 2008 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Just remember you're also "who to blame" when things go wrong...

4. Wolfger using Firefox 2.0.0.11 on Ubuntu | January 11, 2008 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

Odd. I got home to my Kubuntu Gutsy box, and this isn't working. No output at all. Also no output for "who -m"

5. Satan using Firefox 2.0.0.11 on Windows XP | January 12, 2008 at 2:45 am | Permalink

Shouldnt it be "whom"?