More Man Page Goodness

As I'm sitting in the San Jose Airport, I'm reading the sfdisk man page to get a better handle on the command. I want to script setting up partitions, rather than the interactive fdisk. As I'm reading along, I got a chuckle out of the -f or --force switch:

-f or --force
              Do what I say, even if it is stupid.

I don't know why I found that funny, but I thought to myself that more man pages need to be written in this fashion. It sure does brighten up the whole system-administration thing.

1. Andreas Wenning using Konqueror 3.5 on Kubuntu | April 18, 2008 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

That man-page has some goodies in it. Look at this:
    -I file
    After destroying your filesystems with an unfortunate sfdisk command, you would have been able to restore the old situation if only you had preserved it using the -O flag.

2. Dennis K. using Mozilla Compatible 5.0 on GNU/Linux | April 19, 2008 at 12:25 am | Permalink

apt-get install funny-manpages asr-manpages

3. jacques using Firefox 3.0b4 on GNU/Linux | April 19, 2008 at 9:57 pm | Permalink

...and less pages should be like the mount man page. If there is a god of obscure man pages, he was probably the author of that particular one. I can't believe people find it useful to write pages in something so far remote from good English.. For one thing, there needs to be more examples in man pages,.

4. anonymous using BonEcho 2.0.0.13 on Unknown O.S. | April 20, 2008 at 4:32 am | Permalink

I do not find that even remotely funny.

If something, Linux distributions should really start to learn from documentation in BSDs.

Man-pages in Linux are terrible even in the case of something like libc. But oh yes, Ubuntu does not even install man-pages by default, so why bother.

Click and run. No need to read anymore. Welcome black box. Sad future for otherwise decent system.

5. Colin using Firefox 3.0b5 on GNU/Linux 64 bits | April 21, 2008 at 3:47 am | Permalink

One of the funniest manpages I've ever read is wipe(1)
    It starts normally, but starts getting really paranoid quite soon :)

6. Aaron using Firefox 2.0.0.13 on Ubuntu 64 bits | April 22, 2008 at 4:48 am | Permalink

@anonymous- Different styles of humor apparently. However, Ubuntu DOES install man pages by default. What they don't install is the developer man pages. So, where's the black box?

7. AmyRose using Opera 9.50 on GNU/Linux | May 1, 2008 at 9:22 pm | Permalink

Wow, that's funny. However, I don't see it in the fdisk manpage on my Hardy system. Is it on another one?

8. AmyRose using Opera 9.50 on GNU/Linux | May 1, 2008 at 9:24 pm | Permalink

Oh, never mind... you said sfdisk, not fdisk.

By the way, have you ever seen the "I apologize for being so annoying" funny error that sometimes happens when you're installing kernels on Debian and Ubuntu systems?

9. Abuddy using Internet Explorer 6.0 on Windows XP | July 21, 2008 at 5:18 am | Permalink

there needs to be more examples in man pages.
    I think.