Das Keyboard III

Little did I know, that on my birthday just 3 days ago, the Das Keyboard crew released version 3 of their fabulous tactile keyboard. Major highlights? 2 USB 2.0 ports on the right side of the keyboard, blue LEDs, glossy finish, and the ability to purchase a Das Keyboard with inscriptions on the keys (using a stylish font, I must say).

It keeps all the aspects of version 2 that I love. The clickity-clack of the key snap, the mechanical switches, and no inscriptions. The Das Keyboard is by far the most enjoyable keyboard I have ever typed on. I can only imagine that version 3 is just as enjoyable.

Sign me up. I want one!

1. Lynoure using Konqueror 3.5 on Kubuntu | June 12, 2008 at 11:59 pm | Permalink

I just got II not long ago, so my top most thought is "damn", but I might actually like the simple look of Das Keyboard II better.

2. omne using Minefield 3.0pre on GNU/Linux | June 13, 2008 at 6:26 am | Permalink

« Pure typing joy defined ». As a physiotherapist, I don’t think so…
    For me if it’s not an orthogonal keyboard, it’s not a good keyboard. Even if you use a dvorak layout.
    At least, give the Typematrix¹ a chance ! The 2030 usb commes out this summer.

Olivier

[1] http://www.typematrix.com/

3. Aaron using Firefox 3.0 on GNU/Linux 64 bits | June 13, 2008 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

Ergonomic keyboards only benefit the typist with elbows far apart, causing a curve in the location of the hands. Bring your elbows in, rather than bending your wrists, and you'll find that you don't need ergonomic keyboards.

The Das Keyboard is truly a revolutionary keyboard, for only the most serious of typists.

4. Omar using Firefox 3.0 on GNU/Linux 64 bits | June 13, 2008 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

I like my old IBM Model M keyboards. From what I have read, the Das Keyboard uses the same kind of switches.

The Typematrix looks like a neat layout, but it is a laptop keyboard. If Typematrix makes a proper clicky version of it I might consider it.

5. Will Smith using Firefox 3.0 on GNU/Linux | June 17, 2008 at 10:12 am | Permalink

I haven't been able to figure it out yet, but does the Das III have the super scoop for the homerow keys? That to me was the best feature on the II.

6. iMav using Firefox 3.0.3 on Ubuntu | November 17, 2008 at 3:49 am | Permalink

I'd stay away from the Das III for now. There is a serious key transposition issue that metadot has yet to address.

More info can be found here:

7. Atypic using Firefox 3.0.15 on Windows XP | December 6, 2009 at 3:38 am | Permalink

I'm using this keyboard. I like classic layout, because I often use keys like END, HOME.

8. Kneeling Chair Revie using Firefox 3.6.10 on Windows XP | October 11, 2010 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

I'm a huge fan of ergonomic accessories and products, especially ergonomic chairs. I've been using a kneeling chair for the past 9 months without fail and it has been a tremendous help for my back.

I'll definitely have to look into these new products as well.