New Job

Well, today was the completion of Day 2 on the job. As many of you are aware, I was laid off from my job as a Linux instructor for Guru Labs last month. There is no doubt in my mind that being a Guru was the best job in the planet, so losing that job has introduced depression into my life. It doesn't matter the job, but it will always rank second to Guru Labs.

However, let me not put my new job in a bad light. It might be second place, but it's trailing first by mere inches. However, as with a close friend of mine, I would like to keep this job anonymous. This will give me a little freedom to post topics that are close to my heart, and share stories and experiences without putting my employer in the spotlight, or putting my job at risk. Don't get me wrong- I'm not going to post sensitive information, or any of that. Rather, I'll be able to keep my opinions as my opinions, and not those of my employer.

However, with that, I'll tell you that I am now working as a contractor to do system administration. I am a Red Hat / HPUX / Solaris system administrator. My job duties include those of most standard system administrators- rotating backups, installing new systems, configuring software, writing scripts, adding accounts and so forth. I administer around 35-40 servers for a semi-large development team, a database team and a number of configuration managers. My team is rather small, which encompasses a team lead (my boss), 3 system admins and 2 configuration managers. Today, my task was updating a RHEL 4 box with the latest versions of Python, Apache2 and PostgreSQL to power Trac.

With my new job, I'm happy. Very happy. This job seems to be at a reasonable pace, the team is very friendly, and the duties that I'll be covering are vast. I'll be able to get my hands dirty in many aspects of administration, such as storage management, networking, databases, installation, configuration, security and other things. Everything I taught to my students as an instructor, I'll be able to put to practice. Setting up LDAP with Kerberos? Sure. Customizing SELinux policy? You bet! Playing with tape robots? Of course. If the contract stays in play, or the company I'm contracting for picks me up, I could see myself staying there for some time. When a job is fun, it's hard to let go of the job.

1. Tiago Faria using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu | January 7, 2009 at 12:12 am | Permalink

Glad to hear you found something you like. Best of luck!

2. Jeff Schroeder using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu | January 7, 2009 at 7:03 am | Permalink

HP-UX huh? If your new place buys the glance Plus pack you'll be in love. Even the standard glance with HP-UX is a breath of fresh air.

It is like {vm,mp,io}stat + lsof + netstat ++ all in one nice ncurses interface. Its surprising no one has written something similar for Linux.

3. nick using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu 64 bits | January 7, 2009 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Aaron,

Glad you found something that makes you happy!

4. Aaron using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu 64 bits | January 8, 2009 at 7:48 am | Permalink

Not sure about that. I'll find out soon enough I'm sure. I am looking forward to some HP/UX and Solaris administration, however. I haven't touched a true Unix box for years.

5. Aaron using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu 64 bits | January 8, 2009 at 7:48 am | Permalink

Thanks. I'm hoping this job turns out well.

6. Aaron using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu 64 bits | January 8, 2009 at 7:49 am | Permalink

Thanks! It's not Guru Labs, but it's good enough. Glad I got to meet you when I had the opportunity though.

7. Jonathan Carter using Firefox 3.0.3 on Ubuntu | January 8, 2009 at 7:53 am | Permalink

Ugh, that's sucky. I think you're the type of person that will find happiness in everything you do. Your positive attitude can also just mean good things for future career prospects. Keep it up!

8. Aaron using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu | January 8, 2009 at 10:35 am | Permalink

Thanks man. I've learned in life that keeping a positive attitude towards your profession is important- it keeps you happy and sane.