Ubuntu Vs. Fedora Artwork

I've had this discussion a couple of times with some friends about which looks better: Ubuntu or Fedora. So, I decided to take a poll from my readers, and see what you think. Which vendor does a better job at artwork? I've provided screenshots of the default wallpaper for each release on both distributions. Now, you may be asking, "Why not [insert your favorite distro here]?" Frankly, because if I were to meet everyone's needs in that regard, this would be a very large post, and it wouldn't change your biased mind anyway. Also, the discussion my friends and I have had in the past were Ubuntu vs. Fedora, not Ubuntu vs. Fedora vs. Arch vs. Mandriva vs. Debian vs. etc., etc., etc.

Lastly, both distributions have done a solid job in artwork and look-and-feel for their operating system. No doubt. However, there have been some bumpy roads with both as well. For example, I love the latest default wallpapers for the past two releases on both distributions. However, Fedora Core 6 isn't a solid wallpaper, and neither is Ubuntu 6.06. Those who know me, know I'm not a fan of the Human theme that is default in Ubuntu either. But, the latest Fedora theme isn't any better in my eyes as well. So, what are your opinions? What do you think about the artwork between the two biggest GNU/Linux distributors? Share you judgments in the comments below.

Click on an image to see an uncropped larger image. All images are in order of release from oldest to newest. Hover your mouse over the image to see the release info.

Fedora:
Fedora Core 1 Screenshot Fedora Core 2 Screenshot Fedora Core 3 Screenshot Fedora Core 4 Screenshot Fedora Core 5 Screenshot Fedora Core 6 Screenshot Fedora 7 Screenshot Fedora 8 Screenshot Fedora 9 Screenshot Fedora 10 Screenshot

Ubuntu:
Ubuntu 4.10 Screenshot Ubuntu 5.04 Screenshot Ubuntu 5.10 Screenshot Ubuntu 6.06 Screenshot Ubuntu 6.10 Screenshot Ubuntu 7.04 Screenshot Ubuntu 7.10 Screenshot Ubuntu 8.04 Screenshot Ubuntu 8.10 Screenshot

1. sharms using Google Chrome 1.0.154.43 on Windows XP | February 5, 2009 at 10:41 pm | Permalink

I have always thought fedor has far superior artwork, but I ran Ubuntu because it has a wider selection of packages and imho better quality packages (thanks Debian)

2. asaaa using Firefox 3.0.5 on Fedora 64 bits | February 5, 2009 at 10:53 pm | Permalink

Fedora by far. Just look at the images you posted. Ubuntu looks like crap. The wallpaper has to be the most hideous ever made

3. pansz using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu | February 5, 2009 at 11:07 pm | Permalink

Needless to say, ubuntu's artwork is mediocre, or to say, average.

But ubuntu keeps the 1st rank in distrowatch for years and years, in spite of the poor artwork.

We've got to realize that ubuntu uses such a poor wallpaper in order to "encourage" you replace the wallpaper as soon as you open the ubuntu for the first time.

4. ghindo using Gran Paradiso 3.0.5 on GNU/Linux | February 5, 2009 at 11:09 pm | Permalink

I feel that the Fedora artwork is far more polished and professional looking than the Ubuntu artwork. I definitely like Ubuntu more as a distribution, but the artwork is one of the first things I change.

5. frustphil using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu | February 5, 2009 at 11:32 pm | Permalink

NEITHER. I mean what's the big deal with Wallpaper difference? They're both crap. However I use Ubuntu not because it looks better(honestly they're both very ugly) but because it just works...

6. Oskar using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu | February 5, 2009 at 11:44 pm | Permalink

Fedora has the better artwork, by far. The first thing I do after installing Ubuntu is to change the default theme.

7. Niko using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu | February 5, 2009 at 11:48 pm | Permalink

I have to vote for fedora for their default wallpapers are fresh and light. The Ubuntu, my choice of distro, is unfortunately plainly dark without style or sleek...

8. Aaron using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu | February 5, 2009 at 11:51 pm | Permalink

This is just an entertaining look at distributions. Nothing important really is meant to come out of this discussion. What do you like? What don't you like? Why? Why not? That's all.

9. Aaron using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu | February 5, 2009 at 11:55 pm | Permalink

I like FC1, FC2, F9 and F10. I don't care for the rest. Even with FC1 and FC2, they would be much better without the text "Fedora" in them. The rest aren't impressive to me.

With Ubuntu, I really like all, except 4.10, 5.04, 5.10, 6.06 and 7.10. The last two, of the heron and ibex are high quality, well done, professional looking images, I think. In fact, I've heard some say that the heron wallpaper is the best any operating system vendor has ever produced.

10. Nick Ellery using Firefox 3.0.6 on Ubuntu | February 6, 2009 at 12:15 am | Permalink

Ubuntu 8.04 wins best wallpaper by far, in my mind. Unlike you, I think Fedora 6 is actually one of the better ones, and I dislike Fedora 7. I find that both of them have some releases that the wallpaper is either the same, or very similar. The last two Ubuntu one's are, IMO the best two, with Fedora 10 coming third.

So, I'm going to have to go with +1 to Ubuntu!

11. Kragil using Firefox 3.0.6 on Ubuntu 64 bits | February 6, 2009 at 12:25 am | Permalink

The Ubuntu theme is butt ugly .. orangebrown .. come on .. dark wood one might be nice or just a dark one.

Kubuntu with KDE4 is way better looking but not great yet.

So Fedora obviously does a better job.

All Ubuntus theme is good at is brand recognition .. but that is quite silly at this point of Linux adoption.

12. akar using Google Chrome 1.0.154.48 on Windows Vista | February 6, 2009 at 12:26 am | Permalink

I think the openSUSE's background is much better than both Fedora and Ubuntu.
    I like the green color of nature.

13. akar using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu | February 6, 2009 at 12:55 am | Permalink

Fedora does things better, atleast the icons in fedora use the tango style not the orange mess that you call the ubuntu icon set

14. Jef Spaleta using Firefox 3.0.5 on Fedora | February 6, 2009 at 1:16 am | Permalink

I hate these sort of polls...subjective...pointless..opinionating.

Art is high subjective. Even functional art like you find in advertising is highly subjective. Some people will like something other people will not like it. Some people will even like it or not like it because too many or too few other people like it. Nothing is gained by collecting general opinions like this. It's just an opportunity for someone to offend someone else by calling a work 'ugly'.

By what objective criteria are you asking people to make judgements? Individual personal tastes are not objective. You might as well ask whether people like the new Pepsi logo over the old one or whether they like the Coke logo better. Coke totally blows away the new Pepsi logo..btw.

Instead of asking everyone to cast around shallow opinions about which specific graphics they like, how about you do something worthwhile..like lead a discussion which contrasts the process by which the artwork is developed.

-jef

15. David using Firefox 3.0.6 on Windows Vista | February 6, 2009 at 1:39 am | Permalink

I like the ubuntu arts more than the fedora arts. The fedora arts looks cold to me, those from ubuntu are warmer. (well I don't like all the backgrounds of ubuntu, but I like the colors :))

And I agree with jef, it is a bit of a pointless poll because every person has a different opinion...

16. benoit using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu | February 6, 2009 at 1:53 am | Permalink

Backgrounds are good, they should customize the gnome-panel, it could be really great and bring something more.

17. Alessio Treglia using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu 64 bits | February 6, 2009 at 3:22 am | Permalink

I love Ubuntu and giving my contributions to its development, I use Linpus (Fedora-based) only on my Acer Aspire One with satisfaction, and I must admit that Fedora has a greatest artwork, Ubuntu should improve the default theme/icon set quality.

18. Dave Morley using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu 64 bits | February 6, 2009 at 3:35 am | Permalink

I have 3 points to make on this subject.

1/ Hardy's desktop is the nicest I've seen in a long time. It's vibrant, colourful and above all attractive.

2/ On the whole Fedora does better default backdrops except for the above

3/ The whole subject is largely irrelevant. One of the first personal touches any one makes to the desktop is to change the default backdrop. This is regardless of how pretty it is. It happens on Windows, at work, at home, on laptops and even on mac's too :)

19. Aaron using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu | February 6, 2009 at 8:19 am | Permalink

This post is all about sharing opinions. This post would be in the same category as "who will be a better president? Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama?" It gives the community an opportunity to open up and discuss why they like ore don't like the different artwork.

20. Aaron using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu | February 6, 2009 at 8:20 am | Permalink

Right, and I'm interested in seeing what those opinions are.

21. Hans using Firefox 3.1b2 on Mac OS | February 6, 2009 at 8:33 am | Permalink

Ubuntu by far, though the balloon one looks pretty cool (at least the thumbnail does, I'm too lazy to click through).

Fact is some (many?) people are really turned off by browns and greens, and it's a bit of a mystery to me. Maybe it's because they don't like the outdoors, or didn't grow up in the desert, or because blue goes best with the decor in their parents' basement...

22. Vadim P. using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu 64 bits | February 6, 2009 at 9:23 am | Permalink

Only the last two editions of Ubuntu's default wallpaper are able to compete.

23. Jerome G. using Firefox 3.0.6 on Mac OS | February 6, 2009 at 10:08 am | Permalink

Blue has always been associated with sophistication, high technology, bling, etc. while Brown is earthly, hence we are more inclined to the sheen that comes out in blue which brown can't have at all.

Brown is really an acquired taste. If you observe kids with crayons the blue crayon is always used (especially boys). The brown not so much.

24. Jef Spaleta using Firefox 3.0.5 on Fedora | February 6, 2009 at 10:11 am | Permalink

Did you just draw a parallel about comparing politicians to comparing artwork? Really?

Artwork can't speak for itself..unlike politicians. Politicians have the ability to frame the discussion..so that 'I like his hair' isn't the level of discourse which dominates.

Artwork is far more subjectively as subject matter and that puts a higher bar you to frame the discussion with objective criteria to speak to so the the feedback rises about the 'i think its ugly'/'i think its great' level of discourse.

Without a higher level of discourse than that..this is pointless. We have whole sites dedicated to indexes alternative desktop images...with thousands and thousands of images. We already know that that people's taste are diverse when it comes to desktop background, thousands of images archived elsewhere prove that. You aren't learning anything in shallow poll about a handful of images. You aren't creating any objective feedback that can be used to better the process of how the art is developed.

Go back, think on it and frame a discussion with objective criteria for people to speak to.

-jef

25. Aaron using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu | February 6, 2009 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

Yes, I did. It's called "subjective reasoning", and it's the basis for the vast majority of discussion that goes on in the world. Whether or not the subject material can speak for itself is irrelevant. What is relevant, is the sharing of ideas, opinions, and contributing to the overall discussion.

For those who provide "I think it's ugly" without reasoning are the ones who aren't adding anything to the discussion. For those who find that comment offensive shouldn't join in on the discussion.

If you don't like subjective posts where it engages the community to share subjective opinions, then don't participate in them. By joining the discussion, you are showing that you support the post, its ideas, and language, or you are trolling.

26. andrewsomething using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu | February 6, 2009 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Unlike some, I actually like the Human theme (although I still change it ), but some how Fedora has always felt a little bit more put together than Ubuntu to me. Except for intrepid, I've never cared much for the Ubuntu backgrounds. But then again, except for intrepid I've always changed the background right away with any distro I've used.

My biggest complaint with both of them is the default gnome panel background. I've always felt that the flat grey is horrible.

I used to be one of those people who changed their theme nearly every week, but I've grow to love New Wave. I've been using it for months. You can find it in the community-themes package in Ubuntu.

27. Aaron using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu | February 6, 2009 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

Oh, by the way, this post could mean a lot for each distribution. It seems pretty obvious from the comments in the post that Fedora has done a better job at artwork than Ubuntu. Should Ubuntu re-evaluate how their artwork is portrayed to provide a more pleasing experience for their users? There are some good comments here that Ubuntu could take advantage of.

28. Aaron using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu | February 6, 2009 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

3/ Yeah, I even change my default wallpaper after a new install, no doubt. And I don't even keep the new wallpaper up for long, as I get sick of it, and want a change. I cycle through themes too. I think that's fairly common.

29. Aaron using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu | February 6, 2009 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

The last two are definitely my favorite. I didn't mind the lighter Ubuntu wallpapers, however, that had nonreprsentationalist themes about them, such as those from 6.10 and 7.04. I actually kept those wallpapers up for quite some time without changing them.

30. Aaron using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu | February 6, 2009 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

I don't change my theme too much. I prefer Clearlooks. It's simple, pleasing to the eye, and it doesn't stand out. I do agree with your opinion about the flat-gray panel backgrounds. A light, and mean light blue or orange, if sticking with the Human theme, would be refreshing.

31. Aaron using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu | February 6, 2009 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

I too change the default theme. But, the last too wallpapers on Ubuntu have stayed up on my desktop longer that the previous ones. I really like the quality of the last two default wallpapers.

32. Aaron using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu | February 6, 2009 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

After all these posts, many of them coming from the Ubuntu community, I find it interesting that most prefer the Fedora artwork. I didn't know what opinions to expect when I wrote the post, but I think it's safe to say that the default Fedora artwork is preferred over the default Ubuntu artwork by most of the users who have commented thus far.

So, what does this mean? Should Ubuntu re-evaluate it's default artwork? How about the Human theme? There are also a number of comments mentioning that they change the default theme. It seems the last two wallpapers were hits, however. What can Ubuntu learn from this post? How can we make our default artwork and themes a better experience for our users?

33. Aldo Nogueira using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu | February 6, 2009 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

I strongly agree with Hans. People doesn't like browns and even though the wallpaper it self is far more I strongly agree with Hans. People don't like browns and, even though the wallpaper itself is far more professionally made, they say any ugly blueish one is better.

A good experiment is to change the colours of all wallpapers and tell people to compare them. It is easy to do: take a screenshot of this blog, open in Gimp, crop, desaturate and colourize with blue. In my tests here, the Fedora wallpapers remained almost the same. In this colour-blinded version, many wallpapers from Ubuntu looked like Mac ones. The last two, although show some personality.

I like all Ubuntu wallpapers, except 4.10, 6.10 and 7.04, because they are too simple. From the Fedora ones, I dislike the Core 3, Core 4 and Core 6.

More than a matter of wallpapers, Ubuntu seems superior for me because of consistency with window decorations, icons and widgets. All these things are actively maintained as well. They result in a good visual identity. Usually, people who dislikes the brown theme change it to some bizarre combination of colours and styles.

34. Dave Morley using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu | February 6, 2009 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

I just have to say that the last 2 Ubuntu releases have hugely improved. As long as this trend continues then I think that Ubuntu will leave Fedora in it brown glow :)

35. Aaron using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu | February 6, 2009 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

Any idea what the 9.04 wallpaper will look like? Has it been finalized? I've been Googling about, but haven't seen anything solid.

36. Gary using Firefox 3.0.5 on FreeBSD | February 6, 2009 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

I'm no great fan of either distribution, and I pretty much never use stock wallpaper anyway. With that said, I do like the Fedora artwork better.

37. foo using Galeon 2.0.6 on Debian GNU/Linux 64 bits | February 7, 2009 at 3:00 am | Permalink

The most recent Ubuntu and Fedora artwork are about equal. It is a shame Ubuntu artists don't care about Debian though, we have bad artwork in comparison to anyone else.

38. foo using Galeon 2.0.6 on Debian GNU/Linux 64 bits | February 7, 2009 at 3:01 am | Permalink

I also think it is a shame Ubuntu and Fedora artists don't care about upstream. IMO everyone should use the upstream art and contribute to it.

39. steveacab using Firefox 2.0.0.20 on Windows XP | February 7, 2009 at 3:46 am | Permalink

I'm use ubuntu but the fedora's backgrounds are better than it. But I dont love the icon set of fedora.
    The fedora's artwork team is very good, i love Máirín Duffy, she's wonderful also like develop.

40. Zac using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu | February 7, 2009 at 6:34 am | Permalink

I have only used Ubuntu 6.10 and 8.04 and I have had the the default theme the entire time. I am still using the the same wallpaper for 8.04. I like the brown theme (a more pleasing shade would be better though). Why? It is distinctive, easy on the eye and it doesn't distract me. If you are using a computer with a brown theme, yes it is Ubuntu, it can't be anything else. I am tired of blues and greens. When I first installed Ubuntu I thought this is different and may change it to blue later, but, I got used to it and now I like it. I think it is good for Ubuntu to have something that stands out, but it could be improved alot - more pleasing shades of browns and oranges and also a nice blue theme as an alternative for those who refuse to use anything but blue.

The last two Ubuntu themes I like, again it is distinctive. The fedora theme from the last couple of releases are nice too but predictible, what I would expect. I also like the Fedora icon sets.

41. cbr using Firefox 3.0.6 on Ubuntu | February 7, 2009 at 7:35 am | Permalink

It's a common fact that Ubuntu (GNOME) artwork looks like poop. Enough said.

42. JAM using Shiretoko 3.1b3pre on Ubuntu | February 7, 2009 at 10:51 am | Permalink

I'd like to see a wider comparison of more distributions, can't you throw SUSE in too? :>

43. C.Kontros using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu | February 7, 2009 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Ubuntu Studio shoulda been thrown in this mix. :P

44. Mikey using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu | February 7, 2009 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

Other than at work where XP is mandated, every computer I use runs Ubuntu. There are many things I like about Ubuntu and I have no reason to change. But the artwork, if you can call renditions of the bottom of the toilet artwork, are really ugly. The first thing I do after installing Ubuntu is install a Mac theme and artwork to have something pleasing to view.

Just my opinion.

45. Dread Knight using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu 64 bits | February 7, 2009 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Kubuntu with KDE4 > every other OS or DE out there.

46. Aaron using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu | February 7, 2009 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

What do you mean by this? Ubuntu should use the Debian branded wallpapers, or what?

47. Aaron using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu | February 7, 2009 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Yes, Marian Duffy has done great work with the art, no doubt. I certainly am not calling her skills into question. I know I couldn't do a better job.

48. Aaron using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu | February 7, 2009 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

I love the Tango desktop icons. Even when I change my theme, I make sure I keep the Tango icon set. Polished and well done. Makes the distribution seem much more professional.

49. Aaron using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu | February 7, 2009 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

You didn't read the post, did you? :)

50. Aaron using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu | February 7, 2009 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

You also did not read the post. :)

51. Aaron using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu | February 7, 2009 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

I don't care much for the Mac and Windows themes that seem to be popular on GNOME and KDE theming sites. I like my desktop to look unique, and stand out. I like to have individuality and character. Coping Mac or Windows seems like we're playing catch up, and I'd rather keep it separate. Just me though.

52. Aaron using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu | February 7, 2009 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

Why is that?

53. Dave Morley using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu | February 8, 2009 at 5:14 am | Permalink

Nothing solid yet I think Kubuntu is probably final now.

54. foo using Galeon 2.0.6 on Debian GNU/Linux 64 bits | February 8, 2009 at 9:31 am | Permalink

No, artists should contribute wallpapers/themes etc to GNOME/KDE and everyone, Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu etc should all use the same ones.

We don't like non-upstreamed patches, so why should artwork be any different?

55. Thibauld using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu | February 9, 2009 at 3:13 am | Permalink

I'm really surprised that people here like the intrepid ibex wallpaper! I'm not a graphical designer and, like most people out here, I don't care if it's technically well executed or not... just look at it: it's horrible ! When I first saw it, I though it was some kind of an angry evil creature.... If I had to give it a title, I would call it "brown nightmare". it is definitely not inviting! The Heron what much much nicer imho.

Although I was originally pleasantly surprised by the originality of using brown colors in the first ubuntu versions, now that the "originality effect" has passed... I don't like them any more. I made a quick poll in my family and they all prefer "blue based" wallpapers... more inviting to them. Blue, green... colors may be less original but I think it is likely to please more people. Isn't that what we want at the end ? I, for one, would support Ubuntu moving to "happier" / "zenier" / "nicer" wallpapers.

56. nicu using Firefox 3.0.6 on Fedora | February 9, 2009 at 8:25 am | Permalink

I won't talk much about the Ubuntu wallpapers since I am barely familiar with them, but I acknowledge ours (Fedora's) are quite different from one release to another: some better and some worse. And I know people who love those I consider worse and hate those I consider better.

Talking about Fedora wallpapers, it should be noted they can be split in two categories and I would make the split around FC6: before that, they were developed behind closed doors, by a designer hired by Red Hat. The community kicked in before FC6, so the artwork for FC6 and F7 was somewhat an intermediary mix and since from F8 it is entirely done in the open.

What I like about both Fedora and Ubuntu artwork (and argued for from the inside) is the color consistency, the color (blue, brown) is used as a mark of the distro. Is enough a glimpse to a screenshot and you recognize the distribution instantly.

That was a decision we took in F8, remove *all* the branding from the wallpaper, you won't see any logo or distro name, the reason for this is to encourage re-use. The only branding element is the blue color and it is a secondary element.

With all those said, I can tell you one more thing: with the current sketches, we are going to a totally new direction in F11, it will probably look unlike any of the previous releases (we'll see if the direction is good or wrong).

57. Smb using Firefox 3.0.6 on Windows XP | February 12, 2009 at 7:20 am | Permalink

Fedora. Ubuntu artwork is just too dark and unattractive to the eye.

58. Aaron using Firefox 3.0.5 on Ubuntu 64 bits | February 12, 2009 at 9:03 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the comic post. Gave me a chuckle.

59. Michael "Color" using Konqueror 4.2 on GNU/Linux | February 14, 2009 at 9:22 am | Permalink

Scored by originality and attractiveness, I must say that the third-to-the-last Ubuntu one (Gutsy?" was probably the best of them all.

I don't get why so many people hate the Ubuntu brown themes. Admittedly, I've always liked very white themes (read: KDE Oxygen with Aya).

60. steveacab using Firefox 3.0.6 on Windows XP | February 14, 2009 at 9:59 am | Permalink

there isn't the question. I love brown and orange color, but the ubuntu's wallpaper aren't better than fedora.

And... seriousely (?) the name of ubuntu 9.04... is obscene!!! jaunty jackalope... they don't think un normal name???

I search the new artwork in the official wiki and are nice, but fedora's wallpaper is better!

Remember... I use ubuntu!

p.s. sorry for my bad english.

61. karlzt using Firefox 3.0.8 on Ubuntu | April 9, 2009 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Ubuntu 8.10 wallpaper makes me puke

62. Levente Hajdu using Firefox 3.0.10 on Windows XP | June 15, 2009 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

I hate to admit it but, what the screen shot of an OS looks like plays a big roll in if I would try it or not. If it looks polished I am likely to assume the underlying code is also polished. I am shore this fact is not lost on the likes of Windows and Apple. If the special effects look like there going to use up tons of CPU without a usability advantage that’s a bit of a turn-off.

I have always been more initially impressed by the Fedora artwork, not just the background but comparing Fadora 11 vs Ubontu 9.04 the icons in Fadora seem more polished less boxy (gnome), (such as the one of the hard drive). Although an terms of long term use I prefer a balance of colors over one overwhelming color I think Fadora 8 background came the closest to balancing the blue and the pink. I also like some of the fractal backgrounds on http://exoteric.roach.org . The author gives them away free. Maybe he should work out a deal with some of the linux distros.

Back in the day when we all used CRTs dark backgrounds where preferred the electron beams would cause the phosphor to light less brightly over time. Now that we have the LCD which is backlit by fluorescence tubes (same mechanism for emitting the light but a different mechanism for drawing the image) which are always on, brighter backgrounds may be preferred because they let more of the light through transforming less of it to heat hopefully extending the life of the liquid crystal elements. This will be less of an issue when we get LED back lit displays, but brighter backgrounds will still be preferred (at least technically). I don’t know who has an advantage here.

I don’t want to seem racist here but there are cultural differences impacting what people may find more appealing. People from Africa seem to like rich brown earthy colors. People from South America seem to like a mix of bright vibrant colors (reds greens, pinks, yellows). People from the Northern parts of Europe like Sweeten like neutral whites and grays. Perhaps it comes from the natural scenery of these locations imprinting at young age. There is the red-ish iron rich earth of Africa and the brown savannas, the rain forests of Brazil and the snow in Northern Europe.

Ok I think I have over analyzed this to death and probably committed a ton of spelling and terminology mistakes in the process.

Leve

{ 2 } Trackbacks

1. [...] Ubuntu Vs. Fedora Artwork I’ve had this discussion a couple of times with some friends about which looks better: Ubuntu or Fedora. So, I decided to take a poll from my readers, and see what you think. Which vendor does a better job at artwork? I’ve provided screenshots of the default wallpaper for each release on both distributions. Now, you may be asking, “Why not [insert your favorite distro here]?” Frankly, because if I were to meet everyone’s needs in that regard, this would be a very large post, and it wouldn’t change your biased mind anyway. Also, the discussion my friends and I have had in the past were Ubuntu vs. Fedora, not Ubuntu vs. Fedora vs. Arch vs. Mandriva vs. Debian vs. etc., etc., etc. [...]

2. Installing Fedora 10 « UncleFlo | April 14, 2009 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

[...] interface styles and themes for every release. While googling for the untouched background image, I found a discussion about comparing the artwork for Fedora 10 with Ubuntu, and found that Fedora had a developed [...]