New Email Signature

I've been toying with the idea that I want a new email signature at the end of each message I send. For the longest time, I've been of the opinion to put an email netiquette topic in my signature on one point or another. For example, for the past 4 years, I've had one version or another of the following signature:

_
Aaron Toponce         ( )  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
www.aarontoponce.org   X   www.asciiribbon.org
                      / \

That signature has served me well the past few years, but I'm ready for something new and refreshing. I'm tired of the political stance that my signature carries, so how about something less political and more geek? I don't want my name in the signature or anything vanity-related. No politics or netiquette advice. Just raw geek. I came up with the following:

. O .   O . O   . . O   O . .   . O .
. . O   . O O   O . O   . O O   . . O
O O O   . O .   . O O   O O .   O O O

Bonus points if you recognize this pattern, and can tell me where it's from.

1. charfles using Firefox 3.0.8 on Mac OS | April 18, 2009 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

It's the "glider" from Conway's game of life.

2. anon using Firefox 3.0.8 on Ubuntu 64 bits | April 18, 2009 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

cellular automata hurf durf try harder.

3. Michael "Glider" using Konqueror 4.2 on GNU/Linux | April 18, 2009 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

Too bad someone already recognized the glider. Do I get extra credit for linking http://catb.org/hacker-emblem/

4. Levi using Google Chrome 1.0.154.53 on Windows XP | April 18, 2009 at 8:27 pm | Permalink

It would be much cooler if it wasn't associated with ESR or his inane quest for a 'universal hacker emblem'. Still better than the ascii ribbon, though. :)

5. Aaron using Firefox 3.0.8 on Ubuntu | April 18, 2009 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

@Levi- The hacker emblem is really nothing more than a fanboi button. However, I like it, and associate with it. I don't care too much for ESR, though he does have redeeming essays as the geek's anthropologist.

6. Michael using Firefox 3.0.8 on Ubuntu | April 19, 2009 at 1:08 am | Permalink

Ever considered 'geekcode'?
    It is also in the Ubuntu repositories, so you can even apt-get it
    My geekcode is for example:
    -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    Version: 3.12
    GAT d? s:- a C++ UL+++ P+ L+++ E--- W+ N o+ K++ w--
    O- M- V-- PS PE Y+ PGP++ t 5 X R* !tv b- DI- D+
    G e++ h+ r- y+
    ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

7. Aaron using Debian IceWeasel 3.0.7 on Debian GNU/Linux 64 bits | April 19, 2009 at 7:51 am | Permalink

@Michael Yeah. I've seen it, but it's vanity related, and I just want raw geek. Definitely geeky though.

8. Mackenzie using Firefox 3.0.8 on Ubuntu | April 19, 2009 at 9:29 am | Permalink

Heh, I've got a Game of Life plasmoid running on my screen all the time.

9. Mackenzie using Firefox 3.0.8 on Ubuntu | April 19, 2009 at 9:30 am | Permalink

Your site still breaks on OpenID, by the way. It tells me to hit the "Continue" button, and then it yells at me that I must use the comment form. Then I hit back, remove my URL to bypass OpenID (as the page asks), and hit Submit again, and again it tells me I must use the comment form. I have to back all the way to the post's page, remove my URL *there* then hit Post.

10. melony using Internet Explorer 6.0 on Windows XP | September 28, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

sWpozD http://cgE8hcmk9Vvqlosr5wcBa6nk.com

{ 4 } Trackbacks

1. [...] Aaron Toponce : New Email Signature [...]

2. [...] disclosure- I have been a heavy plain text email advocate in the past. Post 0 and post 1 demonstrate that. Let’s just say I’ve had a change of heart. I want to do [...]

3. Aaron Toponce : Email Netiquette – Part 2 | September 19, 2010 at 7:31 am | Permalink

[...] such as cell phone or business fax, it could be a random quote you cherish, or something abstract. I use the first 5 generations of the glider from John Conway’s Game of Life. It’s plain text, it’s not noisy, and it’s [...]

4. [...] first email signature, I had an awesome signature. I think I’ll bring that back. Not in my personal signature. No, that’s too hard core to be changed out right now. Instead, I’ll add it to my [...]