WIFI FAIL

While taking the bus home yesterday from work, I needed to login to work over the VPN and get some stuff done, before the next day started. The express bus I take home has free WIFI on the bus. Unfortunately, it's anything but reliable or stable. I kept losing the connection, then I would have to reconnect, then it would drop, then reconnect, etc. While going through this, I noticed in the WIFI applet for Windows XP that it tells me I currently not connected, but if I wish to disconnect, I need to click the disconnect button. So which is it? Am I connected, or not? If I click the disconnect button, I guess it disconnects me, but when I click the button again to connect, it says again that I'm currently not connected, and if I wish to disconnect, click disconnect. Confusing as hell, I figure it's loaded with FAIL, and that it would be fun to show.

Screenshot showing me connected or not connected to the UTA WIFI.

1. Fabian Rodriguez | September 9, 2009 at 7:58 am | Permalink

Reminds me of Network Manager in Jaunty.

I now use WICD which, well, works.

2. Aaron | September 9, 2009 at 8:09 am | Permalink

I personally don't have any problems with NetworkManager in 9.04. I have plenty of problems with the WiFi applet in Windows.

3. ethana2 | September 9, 2009 at 9:37 am | Permalink

My main gripe with nm-applet now is how hard it is to set up wifi-forwarding on a laptop.
    Seems like pretty basic functionality, but I guess hardware support for it is spotty.

4. RainCT | September 9, 2009 at 11:58 am | Permalink

@ethana2: No problem with that here, just create a connection of type "Share". But yeah, the interface could be better (and if you want to do more advanced stuff maybe you're right that it isn't that good).

5. Phil | September 9, 2009 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

I think this is one of those "I'd mock you, but the challenge is gone" moments that you get so often with Windows.

6. lo0m | September 11, 2009 at 12:50 am | Permalink

yeah, winXP and wifi.. i used to have a lot of "fun" with those..

7. me | September 18, 2009 at 11:58 pm | Permalink

So you are using XP for work?